Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

cruise control?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by paul_cfh, May 21, 2000.

1. paul_cfh

paul_cfh Registered Member

worken on the blazer yesterday setting the idle and listening for vacume leaks (got that all fixed thanks guys) when i noteced a cruse control on the blinker switch ..........how does this work and what are the ods it still works.......(i cant try it myself cause i got the front drive shaft out and replacing u joints ..........also anythoughts on why the speedometer is not working (i checked the plug in back of gage no luck there) could the gear be shot ?

thanks for all the help

<font color=blue>where the road ends the fun begins</font color=blue>

2. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

My rig is too old for cruise so no help there. As far as the speedo goes, take the cable completely off. Spin one end and see if the other spins. It should have some slight tension on it, but not too much. I haven't heard of any speedo gages going bad, so I doubt if it's that. If not the cable, then that leaves the speedo gear in your transfer case.
    Here's what my manual says:
    Disconnect the speedometer cable, remove the bolt and detach the lockplate.
    Insert a screwdriver into the lockplate fitting and pry the gear and shaft out of the transmission.
    Pry out the O-ring.
    Installation is reverse, lubricate the O-ring with tranny fluid.

If you've changed gear ratios or tire size, this would be a good time to correct your speedo accuracy problem by getting a gear with different # of teeth. If I remember old posts correctly, 1 tooth = 10 mph. Maybe someone else can help with more details.
    Mud is just thick water, or is it that water is just thin mud?

3. paul_cfh

paul_cfh Registered Member

wow that was fast goose *S* ...........my speedo cable goes from my np203 up to a box on the drives side fenderwell (the box has wires going into it ) i havnt traced the wires but sence i never saw this on any other chevy i owned i'm guessing that it is for the cruise ........then the spedo cable comes out of that box and into the back of the speedometer ......should i take all this apart and check them all .......and does that box throw a kink into the system ...........tranny is a th350 with a np203

<font color=blue>where the road ends the fun begins</font color=blue>

4. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

The box is the speed sensor for the cruise control. So either the cable is busted between it and the speedo or it's busted between the box and the case. The gears in the case hold up pretty good but it is possible they be broken. You should be able to pull the cable loose form the 203 and pull the inner drive cable. It isn't supose to slide out from that end. If it starts comming out the lower cable is busted. yank it out and then unscrew the other end from the box and pull the rest out and take it with you to the parts store to use to compair the length and make sure they get you the right one. If that cable isn't broken then the cruise may work even though the speed doesn't. The button on the turn signal is a set button. If you hit it when it's engaged I belive it will decel (been A while since I drove my wifes 79 long enough to use the cruise). If you hit the brakes it will kill the cruise and then the botton will be a resume.
    There is a switch on the brake peddle that is prone to having the retaining collar strip. Make sure that is working correctly before trying the cruise. If that switch is not operational you won't drop the cruise when you hit the brakes and if you notice there is no OFF switch :) in the early 80's the Gov mandated that all cruise controls had an OFF switch...Hmmmm I wonder why? I think if you hit the button twice or 3 times it is supose to shut it off.
    I tinkered with the cruise on the wifes 79 and got it working great. The throttle pull had to much play and once I adjusted it up correctly it will hold withing 2mph of what it is set for. When it works it works very well. Mine is sensative enough that if you hit a real steep hill and lose enough speed quickly it doesn't think twice about getting into the four barrels :)

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper