Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

cruise control

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by marcus, Mar 24, 2002.

1. marcus

marcus Registered Member

Hi guys,

The cruise control in my truck has stopped working (see sig for car). Does anybody know how these things work? I have absolutely no idea how cruise control works, and would appreciate any pointers.

I know the CC is not very vital, but I just don't like having something that doesn't work....

Thanks

Mark

2. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

First thing is check to make sure your vacuum pump is working. Pull the large vacuum line off the CC pod with the engine running to see if there is any vacuum there. If not, go to the pump at the back of the engine (where the distributor would be on a gasser) and pull the line off it, and see if it's pulling any vacuum with the engine is running. If not, that's probably your problem. The vacuum pump only operates the heating and A/C flappers and the CC. So it's easy for the vacuum pump to go bad and not realize it.

The vacuum pump on my '86 was bad when I bought it, and I just replaced it this weekend. However, the cruise still doesn't work. I've never worked on the factory cruise of this vintage, so I'll be troubleshooting it here before too long. When I learn what my problem is, I'll pass it along.

Casey

3. marcus

marcus Registered Member

Thanks for the info. I had a quick look at the truck under the hood, just so I could familiarise myself with various bits and pieces invloved. Found the CC pod, checked that everything seemed to be attached. Gave it a few sqeezes (as you do when you have no clue what you're doing) it made a kind if hissing noice, got called inside, so left it, thinking I'd have a good look when I had more time.

On my way to work this morning, thought I see if the CC was still broken, and it's fine! Seems my squeezes did the job! Thanks for the help...now I know what that thing sitting beside the oil filler is!

Cheers

Mark

(BTW, you say that the vacuum pump is where the distributor is on a gasser, unfortuntely I have no idea where this is on a gasser, I only have a vague idea how petrol engines work as I've never owned one. My faher drove a Volvo turbodiesel, my first car was (still have it) a Daihatsu diesel 4x4 and my latest car is the 6.2 Blazer...never owned a gasser in my life....apart from a lawn mower and a Vespa...both two-stroke)

4. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

Glad to hear it's working....perhaps the CC pod was just stuck.

I'm glad to hear you say you have no gasser experience /forums/images/icons/smile.gif .

The vacuum pump is located at the very rear of the motor, in the center, behind the intake manifold, down in the valley. It's a great big, round, pod with a vacuum hose coming off of it.

But if your cruise is working now, then you know your pump is okay.

BTW......just FYI......the camshaft has a gear on it which operates this vacuum pump. This vacuum pump then turns the oil pump below it via a hex-shaped rod. Just so you know what else is going on back there.

Casey