Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Cruise control

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by marcus, Mar 24, 2002.

1. marcus

marcus Registered Member

Hi guys,

I have posted this the diesel forum, but thought I'd post here as well as this forum has alot more users!

The cruise control in my truck has stopped working (see sig for car). Does anybody know how these things work? I have absolutely no idea how cruise control works, and would appreciate any pointers.

I know the CC is not very vital, but I just don't like having something that doesn't work....

Thanks

Mark

2. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

it could be the linkage broke mine did the same thing. pop the hood and look on the drivers side of the engine there should be a black round rubber hooya (cruise control servo) about the size of a moon pie bolted to the fire wall with a rod going to the carb/tbi if its broke there it will just be laying on the engine. the servo might have a hole in it too so it wont hold the suction. hope this helps

3. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Cruise control on a 6.2 is vacuum-controlled. Diesels generate no vacuum so a vacuum pump is installed in place of the distributor. Does your vent/floor/defrost control work? It's controlled by the same vacuum source.

If your vacuum pump works, make sure that all of your vac lines are in place and in good shape. On my 83 6.2, the CC assembly is located at the front of the motor. It might take a little bit of tracing, but you might luck out and find a broken hose............

4. marcus

marcus Registered Member

Well, I lucked out...pooped the hood, found the cruise control module...seemed OK (but then I don't really know what I was looking for...). Squeezed it a few time, made a hissing noise, ran out if time so decided to have a good look later.

This morning on the way to work, tried CC to see if it was still broken, and it works fine! Great piece of troubleshooting by me, even if say so myself!

Thanks for the replies guys!

Mark