Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Cruise control?

Discussion in '1936-Present Suburban' started by Okiemuddog, Mar 12, 2003.

1. Okiemuddog

Okiemuddog 1/2 ton status

Hey everyone, I just have a quick question. I am working on my mother's 1990 GMC Sub 1500 2wd with a 350. The problem is the cruise control takes like 4 tries to set and once it does it will only hold for about a mile before it kicks off /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif and you have to reset it. I was thinking servo, but figured I would ask and see if anyone else has had any problems like this. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

2. bpiccioni

bpiccioni 1/2 ton status

I have an 87 /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif that has non working factory cruise control but there are other problems with the turn signal switch (wiper delay feature is shot - there's only about a hair of adjustment to make the delay happen), so I just plan to replace the whole turn signal switch and go from there.

The whole four tries thing sounds fishy - I would think that if the servo was bad, it wouldnt work at all, but that's just my hunch and not based on experience. All the symptoms you describe could be caused by a switch that had bad contacts - hard to get it to 'throw' and hard to keep it thrown once it's switched.

Good luck!

3. KShortell

KShortell Registered Member

I would first suspect a vacuum leak. The throttle servo runs on vacuum.

I've seen even a pinched vacuum line be the only problem once upon a time...

Otherwise, it's likely your multi-function switch.

Good luck! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. bpiccioni

bpiccioni 1/2 ton status

Hey Everyone

Scott let me know that I used a word on here that might be offensive to some of you. I would like to apologize to anyone that I might have offended.

Thanks for editing it for me Scott!

Ben

5. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

not a problem man /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Sounds to me like the switch on the turn signal is flaking out. They just do wierd stuff when they get old.

However, one other thing to check is the switch on the brake pedal. There will be 2 of them. One turns on the brake lights, while the other one turns off the cruise control. The one that turns off the cruise control will cause strange behavior of the cruise if it is not making a good contact.

7. Burbinator

Burbinator 1/2 ton status

Another thing to check prior to shotgunning parts would be the plug for the cruise/wiper assembly. This cable is about the size of a 12 guage wire, with black insulation. On its end, it has a plug that is basically a small printed circuit board with four or so wires soldered to it, covered by a clear plastic cover. It should plug in to a receptacle on the upper right side of the column tube (at least that is where it is on my '91). You will need to remove the painted cover below the column to gain access to it.

The connector on the cable end is bare metal and subject to corrosion. Clean it with a contact cleaner spray and/or an eraser if it is dirty/corroded.

Hope this helps!

Good luck!

/forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif