Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Cruise Control

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BigBadJap, May 26, 2003.

1. BigBadJap

BigBadJap Registered Member

Hi again!

I found out the other day (after 6 months owning it) that my cruise control does not work at all. I have read some articles suggesting that broken cruise control are often caused by broken wires in the cruise/wiper/signal stalk which can sometimes be diagnosed by turning the wipers on, then turning the cruise on... this didn't work for me.

I was wondering if anybody knows if the cruise control is vacuum actuated? (I think I may have a vacuum leak)

Ideas?

2. BrianDamage

BrianDamage 1/2 ton status

do what I did. Goto autozone or o'reilly's and buy the cruise switch (around $35- 40), CAREFULLY take it out of the package. You should be able to look right under the dash by the column and see the wiring from the switch. Disconnect the quick-connect and hook the new switch to the wiring harness. Now drive down the road and acctuate the switch and see if it works, If it does, keep it, if not package it back up and take it back to the store (it worked on mine, but I needed the chrome version instead of black. I wanted to verify that it was indeed the switch before I laid down $90+ for the chrome version from a mail-order palce)

3. rick88blaze

rick88blaze 1/2 ton status

if that doesn't work, the servo on the engine might be bad, or it could be a broken vaccuum line.

4. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

The vacuum servo is on the driver's side, almost against the firewall (PIA to remove) and that could be bad if the switch is good, also there is an ECM box underneath the dash to the right of the gas pedal.

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Almost all GM car and truck manuals of the mid-late '80s have the cruise control troubleshooting chart. Very simple to follow.

I'd look it up, but I don't have access to my manuals for a few days.

6. BigBadJap

BigBadJap Registered Member

Alright! Maybe I'll start by tracking down the vacuum leak first since I should probably do that anyway.

Thanks for the help!

7. dyeager535

Vacuum, linkage from cruise solenoid to throttle shaft, and cruise brake pedal switch are three things that are pretty easy to test for the cruise system, I'd start there as well.

8. ajalecci

ajalecci Newbie

I just bought my Jimmy and found out the cruise was bad as well. The problem with mine was the linkage on the vacuum can was broken. The little eyelet on the end had pulled out. Something easy to check. Good luck.

9. dyeager535

cruise 1

cruise 2

Not the troubleshooting section, but at least the schematic.

believe that schematic should be the same as the truck your vintage. Cruise module should be over the gas pedal if you are in doubt that its the same setup. (only possible alternative your year could be ECM controlled cruise, I doubt it)

Wiring colors might be off, but the positions of each wire at each component will be the same, if you understant what I'm trying to say.

10. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Umm, nice diagram /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif
    [​IMG] /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. dyeager535