Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Cruise

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by MudNurI, Nov 30, 2002.

1. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

Starting to plan our spring vacation, Florida/Disney is out since we have done that the last 2 years. Montana would be cool, but we don't have enough time- last trip there was 3 weeks, and not long enough!

This year's trip will include 2 brother in laws and families- total of 5 adults, 7 kids. kids range in age from 5-13. they went to Mexico last spring, and want to return there again. I really don't want to go to Mexico- as it's basically a beach..not much else for kids to do in Cancun....I'd prefer to take the kids on a Cruise. I've done some research on cruise's, and some of them are geared towards families (no, I'm not interested in Disney's cruise)..I spent 3 years in the travel industry- only problem was it was international travel..not cruises.

Anyone here take their kids on a cruise? Anyone been on a cruise? Recommend a cruiseline? We would be heading out from east Florida- driving down and then driving home. thinking a 5 day cruise, with 2 nights previous and 2 nights after where ever we take off from (including 1 overnight down and 2 overnights home)...

idea's?

Brandy

2. ChevyDrivnRdneck

ChevyDrivnRdneck 1/2 ton status

Several years ago....when I was a kid (like 11) my parents took me on a cruise to the carribean. Just a normal cruise, but I had a lot of fun cause they did have a lot for the kids to check out, video games and all sorts of other ship games to play. Half the time I enjoyed looking out over the side and watching the dolphins. The best time I can remember with my parents. Princess cruise lines is what we went on. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

The Love Boat....I'd be scared to death my kid would go over board, of course you guy's don't know my kid..... /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

4. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Went on a 7 day Alaskan Cruise on Norwiegen Cruise Lines (NCL). It was the best vacation I've taken so far in my life, and I highly recommend it.
    If you're looking for more kids/young people on the boat, you would maybe be better off with something in the Carribean. Our cruise didn't have a whole lot of young people. But, the awesome scenery makes up for that. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

I went on a cruise in Mexico (Cabo San Lucas, Mazatlan and Puerto Vallarta) last year and it was sooo much fun. I'd recommend Royal Caribbean, which is what we took. The service was so great. And the food, holy cow talk about eating well. Princess is awesome too from what I understand (friend took the same cruise we did on that line same spots like 2 weeks later and loved it)... I hear Carnival is fine if you take a 7 day. I have been told that the 3, 4 and 5 day ones are popular with the party goers (college age) because of the price and it's like a bar that floats.

A family friend of ours books cruises and takes them all the time. He's like King Cruise I swear and has been on them all and is who tells me all about each line. I can ask him about what lines he recommends for kids for you. Many ships have things on them like skate parks, ice rinks, basketball courts, indoor soccer, rock walls and other cool things... ask around for who offers what.

Also see if what excursions they offer. These cost more but can be awesome. Like when you port you would normally go ashore and shop and look around. With an excursion you would go do something like snorkel, or go canoeing or on a special tour. Usually you get done too so you can check out that port, just not have all day to shop but like kids wanna shop all day.

As far as a room goes... if you book one inside (the middle) it's cheaper. But you will get no window. But guess what... once the sun goes down, you can't see squat outside anyhow and during the day when you can you aren't on the ship! So consider that. It was $200 cheaper for us....

Anyhow that's about all I can think of for now... just remember too you have to tip the people on the ship... so when figuring cost remember that! We forgot and almost didn't have enough cash to tip our servers!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif