Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Cruises? Give me the straight poop here guys!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by laketex, Sep 21, 2004.

1. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

So the MIL has extended an offer to take us on a cruise and pay half our way. Now, notwithstanding the fact that we'd have to put our Gila Wilderness backpack trip on hold another year, I'm worried about cost. Even with her "generous" 1/2 offer on the cruise, we're looking at:

$900 for one of us
    $400 airfare to New Orleans
    $80 Hotel in New Orleans
    $70 Gratuity

....now what about optional excursions, alcohol, ect ect....how bad is this crap gonna eat me alive if I decide to do it?

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

The last cruise that I went on with the wife, we spent just about $1000 on the boat for extras while we were there, mostly for the excursions and alcohol. We also spent about another $1000 on souvenirs and jewelry (good prices on gold in the Caribbean).

3. CaveBlazin

CaveBlazin 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Well I had the same expenses like shaggy had on ship we spent about 1000 while on ship that was to include gambling,drinking and excursions which are a blast. If you look you can find great rates on cruises, me and the wife found a "carnival cruise" leaving from New Orleans in a Suite with a balcony for 550 a person and thats with all taxes and charges the only thing you will need to pay is a one time tip fee which usually is about 60$
    Other than that just be careful of that DARN ship expense card they give you cause its amazing how easy it is to rack up that thing /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif Its like everything is free until you get the bill LOL good luck and have a blast!!

4. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

i have friends that will easily spend over $2000 on alcohol alone on cruises. theyre total drunks, but ya gotta be careful about those $25 margaritas /forums/images/graemlins/shame.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

5. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    i have friends that will easily spend over $2000 on alcohol alone on cruises. theyre total drunks, but ya gotta be careful about those $25 margaritas /forums/images/graemlins/shame.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

$25 margaritas? Are you serious or joking?

If we spend 1K on the ship and 1K off it, I'm thinking this trip is a no go. We just bought a new house and are doing a lot of work to it. Timing sucks...Btw, it's Carnival Conquest if anything knows anything about that thing.

6. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

My tip for drinking on cruise ships - stick to long island iced teas. You get used to them real fast, and they definately offer the most bang for the buck. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif Prices on drinks are similar to what you'd find in a bar. Not a dive bar out in the sticks with sawdust on the floor and $5 hookers out back, but a bar in a downtown area with a hot bartender and $100 hookers down the street and around the corner. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

7. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

i dont know how much they are, ive never been, but they all told me that eveything was stupid-expensive. $5-10 is probably more accurate, but hey, it got your attention! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

my friends all had a good time, and im pretty sure that wasnt entirely due to the alcoholic haze they were in, but yea, be careful how much you spend.

8. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I have no idea where these guys are getting there info, I have been on a few cruises and they have all been free. Most of the time we even go to far away places and dont have to pay taxes so i make money, and a gratuity??? Are you crazy, the only thing i do thats nice is not knock a swabbies teeth down his throat when he gets in my way as i walk/stubble around the boat with a 120 pounds of gear and weapons strapped all over the place. But the best thing does have to be the excursions, the last place we went to had alot of nice things to do, blow up buildings and tanks, shoot at people ride around in the dark with no lights on, good fun /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

DAYMMMM....

so they aren't cutting us a whole hell of a lot of slack with that $900 are they? I'm sorry but I don't have $4000 to spend on a vacation, I can have one hell of a backpacking week on 1/4 that....argh. I hate it, my in laws always put me in this position...they're entertainment money spenders and I want to save for a rainy day. And my wife can see both sides, but the MIL still pushes....dammit! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

10. Ruthven13

Ruthven13 1/2 ton status

When I went to the Carribean, it ended up costing me about $2k total. We did two excursions: the Jungle Tour in a Land Rover pickup, and the must do Jolly Roger Pirate (booze) cruise. That price was for just me. Kept the alcohol to a minimun to save money. For 5 islands in 7 days I do not think it was too bad. All depends on how much you want to do on the islands.

11. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Good one Paul!

/forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

12. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I have no idea where these guys are getting there info, I have been on a few cruises and they have all been free. Most of the time we even go to far away places and dont have to pay taxes so i make money, and a gratuity??? Are you crazy, the only thing i do thats nice is not knock a swabbies teeth down his throat when he gets in my way as i walk/stubble around the boat with a 120 pounds of gear and weapons strapped all over the place. But the best thing does have to be the excursions, the last place we went to had alot of nice things to do, blow up buildings and tanks, shoot at people ride around in the dark with no lights on, good fun /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Funny....you had me going till about halfway through it when you were talking about the swabees....I was thinking, what line did you use! However, I'm just thinking of a 7 day cruise, and not really ready for the 4 year cruise committment. Gotta see how I like one first! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

13. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

If you can find a travel agent that will book the cruise as "ALl inclusive" then go for it. That covers all the food, alcohol and your trips. Definitely worth it if you ar gonna drink a lot

14. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

Having done Carnival, Royal Caribbean, and Disney, I would say that cruises are a blast. However, they aren't cheap. But, you don't have to book a bunch of shore excursions. In fact, my first cruise we only did one. You have options to save money. The ship will continue to serve the three scheduled meals in the dining room evey day, even in port. Since you already paid for those, you don't have to eat on land if you don't want to. On our first cruise, we didn't trust the food outside anyway. And, you can just go sightseeing if you want. But, you will be tempted to buy stuff so figure on spending at least a little. You might also want to buy some souveniers from the ship. Alcohol could be optional (well, maybe not for some). If you stick with the regular drinks, it can be cheaper. Not sure how Carnival is running it now on soft drinks though. Disney used to make you either pay per soft drink too, or buy a big mug that was bottomless. When we went this summer, they had just changed to unlimited soft drinks. Alcohol was as Shaggy said, like an expensive bar, as was the froo froo coffee drinks. If the MIL is paying half though, you won't get a chance to go much cheaper.

15. ZZ4x4

ZZ4x4 1/2 ton status

Howdy Bryan,
    We've been on a few cruises also. One thing that seems to help the cost a little is to buy bottles of alcohol and softdrinks at the duty free shop on land or at the port shops. Once your cabin is loaded up, you can buy one drink at the bar and keep the souvenir glass. Then make a trip back to cabin to refill every so often. You can even bring a thermos to the pool and drink cheaply all day. Helps a bit, but a cruise is expensive any way you look at it.
    Jeff /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif