Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Crunch time...need to make a decision on a D60 locker NOW

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by fortcollinsram, Oct 26, 2003.

1. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

OKay...Which one would you get and WHY? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

Do you think and ARB is worth an extra $400 over the cost of a Detroit?

I was debating with a friend and he brought up a good point that my K5 is HUGE as it is and when I get into the stink on a TIGHT trail, having a fully automatic locker will SUCK..

I am honestly torn gang...

-The detroit is way cheaper and IMO, probably more dependalbe but my steering WILL be affected on the trail
    -The ARB is selectable BUT is more expensive and has more crap that can break..

So drop the bombs gang...what should I do... /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Chris

2. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

Do your run hydro assist? If so, the steering thing isn't an issue with the Detriot. I really don't see a reason to run an ARB on a trail rig, other than blingness. Is your truck a DD too? Like you said, waaay more expensive, more parts to break, you can't be 100% sure that it will work 100% of the time. The Detriot will work always. Unless you break it of course. But thats true for anything. With the ARB, what happens if, for example, you rip off an air line, or break a fitting someplace where you need it to get back home? No thanks, I'll take the reliable Detriot. I'm into reliability- Went from auto to 465, from 30 spline with stock hubs to 35 spline with Warn drive flanges and the Spicer forged u-joints. Welded 14b. When the time comes, I'll be running a Detriot in the 60 as well. I DO NOT like working on my truck in any place other than my shop or driveway. /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

3. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I Run Detroits front and rear and never had any problems.Keep it simple, those arbs are nice but too many componets to fail.

4. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Neither one.

I would run the Powr-Lok instead. Its basically an upgrade from the Trac-Lok as it has 4-pin spider gears rather than 2 like the TL.
    Best thing about the PL is the fact you can still STEER with this unit. Its also maintenance free as all you need to add is the posi-lube to the gear oil.
    I prefer this unit over the others because there is no vacuum lines to worry about getting sheared nor condensation buildup inside the hoses, etc. The Detroit is known to push the truck straight if you nail the gas when trying to make a turn. Using a PL will allow some forgive in the steering and will also be hassle free from air compressors, lines, etc. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

Powr-Lok's are in the $500+ range, so take that into consideration. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

5. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

They also dont stay locked when a tire lifts off the ground so not a good locker for trails or rocks. Ive never heard anything bad about the Lock rights for Dana 60s so thats another possibility.

6. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Never heard that one before. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif But then theres the thing I've heard of one applying brakes slightly to get a spinning tire to grab traction better. Afterall, the PL is a limited slip differential rather than a full locker. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

7. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

you can "load up" a limited slip by brake torquing the differential like wes said..but limited slips have clutches that DO wear out, and with heavy trail use they will wear out fast..

8. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

If you can live with the Detroit in the front than my opinion is go with it for trouble free service.
    The ARB worries me with the oring seal and drilling into the bearing cap for the air line.
    I also like the P/L in the front - you can adjust the clutch packs to achieve more friction if needed - but as stated above it will eventually wear and loose effectiveness.
    If rock crawling is the intent my vote is for the D/L......
    Tom

9. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Do you plan on driving it in the snow and ine on the road in CO? Maybe I just don't get enough seat time in that kind of weather (3x a yr) to get good at it w/ both ends locked, but I'd go w/ the ARB up front unless its a trail only rig.

10. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

As of now my truck is a DD and a trail rig...As soon as I find another car/truck, the K5 will be mostly a trail/play rig.

I do a lot of driving in the winter on the road here, but honestly, I just leave the hubs lock and throw it in 4wd when I need it...Keep the opinions coming...

Chris /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

i say go detroit, if you're at a section of trail with lots of tight turns, you can always unlock one or both hubs..

12. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]
    Ive never heard anything bad about the Lock rights for Dana 60s so thats another possibility.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ask BadDog about his Lock Right at BB03...I was considering one until I saw his give it up.

I'm about 90% sure I'm going with the detroit, and 100% sure I'm going with hydro assist.

Rene

13. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Yep, Rene is right. Before BB03 I was sold on the LR for a 60 (but nothing smaller!). I've talked to lots of people running up to 39-42s for years with a front LR in a 60. I’ve heard them tell of breaking axle shafts, stubs, and hubs under load with no damage to the LR. From the stories, it seemed that if you set it up correctly (clearances can be too loose) the LR was as strong as the Detroit which has been known to blow when one side breaks under load due to the shock load and torque recoil. So, I was convinced to buy a LR, not by one story, but by many different successful users, most of which are still running them now. I set it up correctly based on the instructions. In fact, my tolerances were a bit on the tight side but still within the indicated acceptable range.

Unfortunately, yet again I’m SOL. My LR lasted a total of no more than 12-15 runs. It went out on my the first day when we ran a muddy Upper Helldorado and it pretty much ruined my weekend. Even nursing it along, by the second day I was basically driving a 2WD on 42s, and open front diff would have been MUCH better off. (Hint: If you run a LR, take your spiders as spares!) Admittedly I’ve not been easy on it, but others have beat harder on them for longer without failure. My failure could be a fluke, or just my notorious bad luck, and it does not change the experiences of those who use it successfully, but I will say that I now have a full carrier Detroit in my D60…

14. tRustyK5

Russ, that thing was popping so much it was sounding like automatic gunfire by the time we got to Pritchet.../forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

How bad did it look when you removed it? I guess the teeth were pretty well stripped off it or??

Rene

15. earl87gta

earl87gta 1/2 ton status

I was wondering the same thing I was going to get the arb. I use my truck as a DD so I liked the ida of seletable locker but now I dont have the cash to spend so Im going to go with the detroit and just unlock the hubs for DD and use a ram on the trails.

16. Curtis2kul

Curtis2kul Registered Member

Winston-Salem, North Carolina, United States
    If you have locking hubs cant you just unlock the hubs if you want to drive on the pavememt? i dont see why not? I would be nice to know the answer

17. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Well, the dog gear teeth, which should be pretty square, had (roughly) 45* ramp angles on the drive side. It was one of the worst I've seen including some that came out of rear 10/12 bolts that wouldn't pull out of their tracks. To say it was "toast" is an extreme understatement...

18. tRustyK5

Didya hang em up on the wall of carnage? /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Rene

19. MEPR

MEPR 1/2 ton status

well i would go for the detroit for ease of maintnence (or none) and durability. And during the winter (i dont know if you have too much worse than we do) i never even use 4x4 in my trucks so the detroit up front wouldnt be an issue for me. But i would just lock the pass side hub so if you need it you can hop out and lock the driver side hub quick. And on a tight part of a trail just hop out and unlock one hub and ease through. Detroit is my chose for cost and durability. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

20. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Wow, I wanted to put a LR in my '60 since it's so much cheaper than a Power-Loc unless you want 4.56 or lower gears. I guess I'm going to re-consider. Maybe I'll buy it and run it and see what happens.