Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Crunched up fender with 6" lift and 33's!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TX Mudder, Mar 22, 2002.

1. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

Crunched up fender with 6\" lift and 33\'s!

My 33's look pretty small under a 6" lift, so I thought there would be no way they would make contact.
    I put two new fenders on a few weeks ago and just this past weekend took the truck out.
    Somehow i managed to to crunch up the driver's side front fender rear opening. The tire looks fine.
    I wonder what I'll be able to do with 35's.
    And I didn't even disconnect the sway bar or anything...
    -- Mike

2. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Re: Crunched up fender with 6\" lift and 33\'s!

For some reason that I can't explain, the driver side fender seems to ALWAYS get hit more than the passenger side.

My '85 K30 with 4" and 35" hit on the rear part of the driver side front fender when it gets flexed out. If I turn into a steep driveway or ditch, the tire makes contact.

No clue what to tell you, but 33" should not be hitting with 6" lift. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

3. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

thats weird... when i tweaked my fends with my 35s... i was disconnected and only had 4" of lift. They didnt even really rub that hard, just caught an edge of a tire lug on the bottom of a fender well lip and pulled it down. Seems freaky that with 6" and 33s that you rubbed really hard with the sway bar connected. You have some super loosey-goosey front springs or something?

J

4. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

I had a 4" susp. and 3" body lift and 33s on my K5 and I could rub the bottom rear corners of both front fenders once in a while.I had no sway bar and realy soft front springs.I never thought it would hit either.

5. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

You'd think that 33's and 6" would clear, but I managed to nail mine. It was on the drivers side too.... pissed me off because I wasn't even doing much other then dirt mounds behind my church where we go all the time!! ARGH!! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

6. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

No weird suspension stuff - 6" ProComp springs, ORD bushings.
    Oh, and have the longer front shackles from ORD so another 3/4" lift or so.
    I was driving the truck pretty hard (for me.) It's the first time out since I put in the new engine so I wanted to see if it would break.
    Didn't.
    -- Mike

7. speed_deed

speed_deed 1/2 ton status

I would have to agree with you on that. My drivers side on my 84 rubs everytime the thing moves but the passengers side never touches the tire. I dont know???

8. chvyhs

chvyhs 1/2 ton status

Why don't you just trim the fenders a little bit?

9. Mudstud

Mudstud 1/2 ton status

Here are some pics of mine (Memphismadman) flexed out. This is basiclly a new lift-First time it's been stretched. It's a 6" Superlift and 33s with the ORD disconnects. I all ready had mild trimming but it still bit the metal. Note: ftn96 is the white k5 under my pics (Nashvillek5).

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.tennesseeoffroad.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&amp;f=31&amp;t=000001>http://www.tennesseeoffroad.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&amp;f=31&amp;t=000001</a>

10. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

I have the "i have new fenders and want them to stay pretty' syndrome.
    I already got one dent from a tree though. I'm starting to get over it slowly.
    I just hate the thought of trimming back perfectly good sheetmetal. If they were rusted out like the old ones, then yeah...
    -- Mike

11. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I bought new fenders a couple of years ago and trimmed them back as soon as they were bolted on. I had seen what happened to untrimmed fenders with the old rusty ones, but didn't want more lift.
    I got over it.../forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Rene

12. RobbieOH

RobbieOH Registered Member

The drivers side might rub more than the passenger side because theres more weight over that side (you the driver) bringing the fender and wheel together easier. Just a thought I dunno.

13. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

The drivers side also has the mastercylinder, wiper motor, fuse pane, pedals, steering column, guages, radio, windshield washer reservoir, and as stated driver so it's no wonder it's usually the first side to hit. That and the older the vehicle springs are, the more worn they are on the driver's side due the weight on that side. Maybe I am just talking out my butt here, but it does make sense. Also I'm wondering if the axle offset has anything to due with it. All GM 4x4 (solid axles) I have seen one front tire sticks out more than the other, I don't remember which side, but that may also compound the problem. My 4" with 33's (measured more like 31" when worn) and they hit pulling into driveways while turning. True tire sizing and wheel offsets can compound this problem, as the tires probably won't hit if the wheels are pointed straight forward, but might hit without too much compression if they are turned to one side (even slightly, they don't necessarily needs to be close to steering lock to move closer to the sheetmetal). Hate to hear they are rubbing, but it sounds like you will have to do a little trimming or live with some "altered" sheetmetal, and possible chunks missing from the tire (which happened before I went higher). With new springs (the old 4" ones were severely beat and sagging) and tires (35's that measure closer to 34's). I don't have any problems.

14. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

DAMN that sucks. I'm about to be running 4" and 38s too.

15. jekbrown

5" of suspension lift, 1" of ORD body lift... and 39.5s for moab baby... hello Mr. Sawzall... /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

J

16. JustCuz

JustCuz Registered Member

Man I have 12" of lift and 44's and all 4 of my tires hit. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif
    Time for some cut out flares.

-JustCuz

17. jekbrown

bah, don't need no stinkin flares... just CUT!! /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

J