Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Crush sleeve won't crush

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by broc944, Mar 14, 2006.

1. broc944

broc944 1/2 ton status

I am setting up my gears in my 14bff, following these directions

http://www.pirate4x4.com/articles/tech/billavista/PR-ARB/articles/14b_Gear_Setup

Put 12 tons on it and the crush sleeve will not crush, ever thing else has gone perfect, I was using a pipe nipple over the pinion, and it started to give, so I stopped, going to walk away from it for the time being, I guess I will try using a piece of pipe next, which should not give, but still I wonder if my 12 ton shop press will be enough. Any ideas on what I am doing wrong? I have done this once before, many years ago, and I do not remember having this problem with the crush sleeve. Thanks in advice for any words of wisdom.

2. 86chevybanshee

86chevybanshee 1/2 ton status

i just did the gears in my 14bff last weekend, i put the whole pinion assembly together then put the yoke on and put it in a press, not sure how big the press was, it took alot of pressure to crush it, i had a cheater bar on the press too

3. randy88k5

randy88k5 1/2 ton status

I had a similar problem. I did use a press, 12 ton at that, and I probably used all it had...

http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150321

BTW, make sure the base you use is strong enough. I blew the pinion through 1" cast iron. Bent some stuff, but pinion was unharmed. Sounded like a gunshot...

4. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

Damn. Bet you loaded your drawers on that one!! :eek1:

5. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

It usually takes on average about 10 tons to get them to start to crush, after that they crush FAST.

6. broc944

broc944 1/2 ton status

I just tried it again, nothing. When I get home from work I will try the cheater on the press handle, but I laid into it and it did not budge. I think maybe my press may have been over rated on its capabilities and that it is not 12 tons.

7. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

I used a 20-ton press, but had to use a cheater bar, and it felt as though we were close to maxing out the press, but it definitely crushed.

8. JEBSR

JEBSR 1/2 ton status

I would be stay away from a press if possible due to the fact that if it aint perfect your bearing preload will not be correct and not last long. what I always do is make a yoke holder or use a big pipe wrench with a piece of pipe on the end to hold it against the ground, frame, etc. take a long breaker bar with cheater pipe on it and put it at the highest point possible and have someone stand on the pipe from outside the vehicle. Have never had one that would not crush this way and no chances of over doing it if careful.

9. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

How is the pinion sitting in the press???
    I made a bushing so I can press directly on the bearing inter-race.

10. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

Basically what I did, except I had the vehicle on a hoist. It took two of us to turn the cheater bar to get it to start crushing.

11. rdn2blazer

rdn2blazer 1 ton status Premium Member

just be careful when pressing stuff like that. working in machine shops for so many years you get to see some dangerous stuff happen. I have seen heat treated steel blocks explode and send shrapnal 50 feet across the shop, and imbed into walls. it does sound like a shot gun going off. even aluminum will snap and send shrapnal flying. if you get hit in the eye, its gone for sure.

12. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

I think our press at work is 20 ton, and they crush with a little resistance, but no cheater bar needed. Just take it to a shop and ask them to do it.

13. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I am spoiled with my 40 ton air over hydraulic press.

14. broc944

broc944 1/2 ton status

Tonight I finally crushed the focker:D , bought yet another press, 20 ton, took everything it had along with a persuader, I definitely was standing off to the side with my cool safety glasses on just in case something slipped. Went ahead with setting the preload which went perfectly.

One safety related note that I noticed that has not been mentioned in any of the posts I have read, and that I just experienced, shims are very sharp:doah:, do not attempt to use your thumbs to align them, bad things will happen, amazing how much blood can keep dripping out of the cuts in a persons thumbs.:eek1: :eek1:

I just want to formally thank the brotherhood with the assistance I was given, I plan on swapping the axle in this Saturday.

15. yoshisv

yoshisv 1/2 ton status

I am not sure i fully understand. When i set up my stock 10 bolt (not sure if there is any diference) I just used my 3/4 inch air gun, And it crushed fine.

16. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Yes, they can be a PITA http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=166206

17. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

A 14FF crush sleeve is much stouter than a 10 bolt sleeve . The 14 bolt sleeve strats to crush at around 360 ft. lbs. of torque so it is common to use a press to get things moving to where the air gun is an option once more.

Tom

18. yoshisv

yoshisv 1/2 ton status

19. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

550 lb-ft on an impact gun isn't the same as 550 lb-ft of continuous load. I daresay that even a 1" drive gun would have a hard time with a 14bff crush sleeve.

And besides that, not everybody has a 3/4" drive air gun.
    It's not that common of a tool for the back yard do-it-yourselfer.

20. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

IN his defense we sometimes crush them with 1/2" guns at work, its not THAT hard.