Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Crush the Backpackers

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by sled_dog, Mar 18, 2005.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

http://www.backpacker.com/

Look down on the right side. There is a poll "should offroad vehicles be allowed in national parks?" At the start it was like 70% No, now that its on Pirate and who knows where else its 95% yes.

2. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

QUESTION: Should off-road vehicles be allowed in national parks?
    Response Totals Percent
    No 849 5%
    Yes 16670 95%
    Total Votes: 17519
    Your Vote: Yes

SWEET! :D

3. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

Great catch there. I voted, guess they'll be surprised when the get the final tally.

Hmmm, maybe they need a "Should backpackers and bikers be allowed to hog clearly marked four wheel drive and logging roads while throwing eat sh*t looks at every four wheeler who passes them?" poll.

4. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

Response Totals Percent

No 855 5%
    Yes 16759 95%

:D :D :D :D

5. mosesburb

mosesburb For Rent Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I don't think this is going the way they expected it to go--hehehehehe

No 858/5%
    Yes 16796/95%

6. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

i just voted, in the 40 mins since mosesburb posted, 10 have voted no, 154 have voted yes.

7. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

No doubt, LOL. Wonder if they'll keep it up, or delete it like it never happened ??

8. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

did my part

Response Totals Percent No 869 5% Yes 17005 95% Total Votes: 17874

9. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Nice. I am betting that they never print those results -

Response Totals Percent No 872 5% Yes 17250 95% Total Votes: 18122

10. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

What if I like going hiking and backpacking in areas where I know I will NEVER see a vehicle of ANY kind? Can I not like my Blazer AND backpacking? DO I not have the right to "get away from it all", including the bark of Flowmaster 40s?

I'm not trying to start a fight, amd I'm not a barkeater. I'm just curious why you feel that the National Parks should be accessible to OHVs.

11. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

No vehicles or horses.

12. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

Maybe there should be places for both? I can respect someones wish to be away from all the noise etc.. but to word it as "should off road vehicles be allowed" .. how about, "should backpackers be allowed" ???

Know what I mean ?.. the parks are for all of us.. and if my idea of getting away for some relaxation the the wife an kiddos is taking a non-challenging trip down a trail in a NP then why would that not be OK? I think what bothers me more is the exclusion that often comes with a "groups" thinking. It's like a group of white folks sitting around and asking, "should blacks be allowed in a NP". I know that is a bit more extreme, but I use it to point out that too often, one group values their idea of something nice, over anothers. It just stinks of "I'm in the right, and whatever you like is wrong" .

I say let the off roaders in.. and 100 points for everypacker you hang on the grill.. LOL ( J/K )

Seriously though, there has to be a happy medium of some sort.

13. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

You know, I'm pretty removed from the situation, but..... maybe have one or two close main trails, scenic ones, and the rest leave wild. Action trails can go anywhere wild.

14. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

Paul, just thought I'd reply to this. I'm not sure if it's the same way in Canada, or if maybe I misunderstood the post but:

Colorado is full of National Forests and Parks, I love these places and many of them have no four-wheeling to speak of but they do have great fishing and camping spots which are only accessible by logging or forest service road. My wife will not hike 10 miles to camp (or even a mile for that matter), but considering there is a developed road there and an established history of motorized travel, we should be able to drive there.

What we have are "Wilderness Areas", where no motorized travel is permitted, and I like it that way. If I choose to be away from all vehicles I can, if I want to drive right up to my campsite, I can go to the Ntl. Forest next door.

Long story short, what these guys are looking for is to close areas to open travel that are currently and historically OHV friendly. There are already no travel zones and PLENTY of places to escape from four wheelers and motorcycles (one of my pet peeves of the forest). There are mixed use areas and dedicated areas for both enthusiasts, which is just how I like it.

Just my opinion.

15. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Well said!

16. Can Can

That's pretty much what it's like up my way, except that most National Park trails are "foot only"- no vehicles, no mountain bikes, no horses, no open fires.

Anyone here who REALLY knows me can appreciate that I'm a hardcore anti-hippy-anything redneck. Trucks and booze, baby!!!!! The point of my post is that there are areas of Alberta that are reserved for "foot only" travel, and, to be honest, I wanna see them stay that way. Most of K-Country and a lot of the Spray Valley stuff- I grew up backpacking and hiking said trails and I wanna continue to do so and pass the legacy onto my daughters.

Now, before you start thinking, "What a focking barkeater", there are plenty of "off limits" areas that should be opened up. They are grazing areas and swampy areas that are already ecological nightmares- letting some 4x4s rip through 'em isn't going to diminish their value.

Is this a case of "not in my backyard"? Maybe. But I think I speak for a majority of Southern Albertans when I say that *most* of the protected stuff deserves it's designation.

Of course, most of the Powderface Trail/Route 66 area could turn into a OHV playground without much environmental impact.........

17. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

I'm on the same page. That's what I was trying to say, we need both types. Motorized and wilderness areas for each type of user and those of us who fall into both categories. I personally like the in between places, where you can drive up to a trailhead and hike a little ways to a campsite, nobody driving around you, but not a ten mile hike to the truck either.

18. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

i think the biggest problem is that they are trying to make everything open to foot only and squeeze us out to private land. if they would be happy with what is available to all of us, then there would be no problem.

i enjoy hiking and backpacking, being able to get away from all the modern crap, all the noises and just have some piece and quite. but i also like taking my truck down some trail i have never been down to see the sights and maybe hit a mudhole or two.

19. Can Can

C'mon, ya little pussy!!!!:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

That's EXACTLY what I'm talking about. I love hiking into area where the only sound you hear is the wind blowing through the trees. If you've never heard it, you'd better come up here and I'll take you on a backcountry trip.

PRIMO, BABY!!!!! North Kananaskis Pass on an August night- the Royal Group in the background just as the sun sets. It's a sight you'll never forget, until the day you die!!!!

20. Can Can

That's what barkeaters do. Save it for themselves for thier annual 3 mile hike with $1000 of "hiking clothing" on their backs. I laugh at those fockers when I blow past then on a trail in my cotton t-shirts and 10 year old hiking boots. In fact, I'll ask those fockin' trail posers if they "need any help finding their way" on any given trail. I'm usually greeted with looks of idignation and horror accompanied by looks of "White trash hiker boy!!!".

Who get's the the summit first, you fockin' snail counting barkeaters????!!!!!:deal: :whistle:

I apologize for the rant, lads. The rich coonts around here, with more money than lung capacity, REALLY piss me off........