Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Crushable?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by roadnotca, Mar 24, 2006.

1. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

Somebody stop me if I'm in danger. Reverse Engr. How about eliminating the problems associated with the crusher by replacing it with a spring? That is if a stiff enough spring can fit. The "spring" would be shim-to-fit like a solid, and compressed height as long or longer than a crushed spacer. I think we've got nothing to lose.
    Aaaahhhh!!! Lunatic!!!!!:haha:

2. rdn2blazer

rdn2blazer 1 ton status Premium Member

you mean replacing the crush sleeve in a 14ff right?. interesting :thinking: . it would have to be a very heavy duty spring I would think.

3. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

I would imagine it would have to be a very very heavy spring. the only thing i could think of is the fatigue life of the spring may not hold the same retention as the crush sleeve would. That and a spring is more of a variable rate setup where once the crush sleeve is crushed thats it, its deigned not to go anywhere. I dont know though, try it and report back. Do you have a particular problem with using a crush sleeve other than its difficult to crush?

4. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

Rob, I'll see you this PM. K5er, the sleeve has crushed beyond set-up so I have "clunk". The axle/truck has 184Km. Oh, and its Corp. 10b. Yes it would have to be super stiff within the available space. There are springs made from flat matl. instead of wire, this would be an appropriate application.
    Edit: they're called "strip form".
    The Burb was used for towing a boat, and from the wiring at the rear, I can't tell if it had trailer brakes or just lights but there must have been some de-cel loading on the crushable. Likely some downhill loading too, the drivetrain code is for high altitude. I'll buy a new sleeve from the dealer on Monday and study that. At a minimum, I'll just replace the original.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2006
  5. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

i would think a solid shim would be much better. the spring would allow the pinion to walk still, no matter how stiff it was
    btw randys sells solid shims

6. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

Intention or not, the sleeve also acts as a fuse. I think it was conciously designed as adjuster and fuse. I'll bet that with a fixed sleeve, the axle shaft becomes the fuse. On a C-clip axle, you know what happens, three wheels and a grenaded pumpkin.
    Front axles don't have the crusher, and they have fuses at the shaft, U-joint and stub.
    As far as play in the drive train, a quiet drive train is for consumer appeal.

7. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I don't understand what you mean a fuse? The crush sleeve has nothing to do with the strength of the axle. It's simply there to keep the bearings specs properly. What are we talking about here? If we are talking about a crush sleeve in between the pinion bearings then no like mentioned above it would still allow play and the bearings will burn up. A solid shim would be the best idea.

8. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

Is the crushable design a lot more work than shimming a solid spacer?

9. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Yeah I would imagine. I have a standard crush sleeve in mine.

10. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

I'd just keep it a crush sleeve...never seen a problem with them as long as you use a new nut and sleeve every time you take it out and you set it up correctly...