Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Crushed Rockwell T221

Discussion in '1936-Present Suburban' started by RoknRollr, Mar 13, 2004.

1. RoknRollr

RoknRollr Registered Member

I've got a 68 burban with factory 4x4 running gear. Is anyone familiar with the Rockwell T221 transercases used in those years?

2. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I've got a 68 burban with factory 4x4 running gear. Is anyone familiar with the Rockwell T221 transercases used in those years?

[/ QUOTE ]

Just a bit.
    What do you need to know?

3. RoknRollr

These things have an idler shaft taking power from the input shaft and delivering it to the front & rear output shafts. My rear idler bearing died damaging the idler shaft - the misalignment ultimately cause the "hering bone" gear on the idler to fail /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif. I'd like a service manual for it - particularly endplay specs. And if someone knows of a good idler gear and shaft... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    These things have an idler shaft taking power from the input shaft and delivering it to the front & rear output shafts. My rear idler bearing died damaging the idler shaft - the misalignment ultimately cause the "hering bone" gear on the idler to fail /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif. I'd like a service manual for it - particularly endplay specs. And if someone knows of a good idler gear and shaft... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I used to have a link on my older computer to a website with exploded views and all kinds of specs on them.
    I lost that one but I think I can do a search and find them again.
    If I find them tonight I will post up a link.
    I don't have any parts, but I will put a friend of mine on it, he might be able to locate something for ya.
    I didn't check were you are at but after I post this I will check and if you are close we probably can find you something.
    /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

5. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

OK CA, so it shouldn't be a problem if we find something.
    i will keep you posted.
    /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

6. RoknRollr

Right! Thanks! There's a guy selling a midship/divorced T221 outa LA, but I don't have the time to drive down there -nor will he ship it /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif. I have a copy of an assembly/exploded view of the T221 but the numbers are hard to read. I had a bookmark of someone posting a portion of the manual - but now that I need it, I can't find the URL! Once I find it again I'll try posting it on CO-K5.
    I've got a 208 and a 241 to throw in there, but the truck is all original (orig numbers matching 327 w/drum brake wet knuckle dana). My 91 burb is setup for real offroad, so I can keep my 68 original & /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif!!

7. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

If you need something from L.A. and the guy wont ship it, I go up to Sac every so often. Should be going in a couple weeks again. If you want to work something out let me know. I can bring it up to you.
    Shoot me a pm if you wanna talk. I'll be going to Lemoore this weekend...but that is still about 2.5 hours from you I believe.....guess thats better than 6 or 7 though.

8. RoknRollr

In case anyone is following this thread - I've been working with Brad from TransAction in SoCal. He's a friend of Luke's at Klune-V. He's also got a line on parts. I'll try to doc the rebuild incase anyone's interested. Since the transfercases were used prior to the K5, not a lot of people are using them. Several rebuilders don't even know that Rockwell made anything smaller than the 223.

9. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

I'd say do the write-up if you have time and patience. You never know when someone will find it handy! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif