Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

crusty K5

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Woodman89, Jul 27, 2000.

1. Woodman89

Woodman89 Registered Member

I paid way to much for this clam. Anyways, I am beginning repairs to the rear floor area below the tailgate where it has got some cancer. I got the sheetmetal from JC whitney a few days ago and I am getting ready to start torching. Any words of advice on this before I start ? (besides removing the gas tank)

I did not get the rear tailpan from JCW but I am tempted. The one on there now could possibly be salvaged. How much work is it to replace that piece?

2. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

The tailpan is like $40 from LMC. I would just buy a new one. I dont know whats involved in fixing the rust because I live in Texas where I dont get to deal with it.

90K5

3. BlazerBoy

BlazerBoy 1/2 ton status

yeah i just torched and replaced my floor.. when you touch the floor be sure not to torch though and of the floor supports underneath... good luck

BlazerBoy
    http://generalblueballs.coloradok5.com

4. Woodman89

Woodman89 Registered Member

Thanks for the advice. The New England winters have certainly battered my truck. When they designed the back end it seems as though they did not use seam sealer in any of the gaps between the rippled floor of the bed and the tailpan. Unfortunately I got bit by the Blazer bug and drug this thing home even though I didnt need it. The problem is that even though it is a rusty bone that wont pass inspection I still think that its an awesome truck and dont want to part with it. I guess I havent wasted enough money yet.