Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Crusty Old Leaf Spring bushings....

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Greg72, Aug 29, 2001.

1. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Mar 5, 2001
    I have never liked the apparent stiffness of my K5, and I had always blamed it on the lift kit, or stiff shocks. But in the last day or so, I've been poking around underneath my truck and noticed that the leaf spring bushings look like they are dryrotted and in poor shape.

When these bushings get old....can they cause the suspension to bind up and "feel" stiff? I figured I could maybe pick up a set of the ORD greasable bushings and try that as a fairly "low cost" experiment....

Also, will the bushings be re-useable if I decide later to swap springs, or do they become a permanent part of the leaf, once they're pressed in?

2. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Feb 17, 2000
    I would have to say yes. Along with body mount bushings.
    The spring pack bushings are removable once installed. Your stock one however are most likly seased and will be destroyed upon removal. I had to drill mine out like a honey comb before I was able to remove the original bushing. Also there may be a sleave that needs to be removed before you can insert the ORD ones(same as Energy Supension).
    Hope this helps

72K5[​IMG]Led Zeppelin[​IMG]Rock ON![​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/baja/5099>www.geocities.com/baja/5099</a>

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

Apr 20, 2001
    You can also burn the old ones out.Set them on fire with a torch and let them burn.Wait til they go out and they will push right out fairly easy.

A balanced diet is a beer in both hands.<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/beaterwhang>community.webshots.com/user/beaterwhang</a>
  4. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Jul 18, 2001
    I would say no to the bushings being re-useable...
    With my experience, I installed a new lift kit and bushings a year ago, and recently I broke the front shackle bolt on the frame, and the bolt was completly rusted toghether with the sleeve. I tried everything WD40, liquid wrencho, B.F.Hammer, and a torch. I finally had to drill my bushings out like a honeycomb also.
    I had to get new bushings, a new sleeve, and a new bolt.

And everything was just installed under a year ago.
    I'd say that from the first time your truck sees the rain or a wash, the bolts will start to rust with the sleeve, and good luck getting them back apart, and getting the bolt out without having to drill out the bushings!