Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

CS-130 and CS-144, what's the difference?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by PetaKane, Oct 9, 2002.

1. PetaKane

PetaKane 1/2 ton status

CS-130 and CS-144, what\'s the difference?

I'm assuming the 144 is slightly larger and maybe a wider bolt pattern? Is that about right?

2. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

Re: CS-130 and CS-144, what\'s the difference?

The 130 is the older of the 2 GM alternators. The 133 only puts out about 90 amps at around 2,000 RPM's. At Idle, its way on down there. Also, the 133 is very intricate to rebuild.

The 144 on the other hand is very simple to rebuild even on the side of the road with "basic" hand tools. The rebuild kit runs less that $100 I know. But it's been a while.

The bolt pattern may be a "tab" bit off, especially in the larger 144's. For example mine. It is the 144 170amp Dual rectifier and I had to elongate one whole so I could get bolts in. And the 3rd is nowhere close. I have been running it for 5K miles if not more and have no problems. It charges good when you have a good battery. I can't remember where I got it from. Something like alternatoraccessories.com or something simular. Emmett turned me on to them. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

The 130 is the older of the 2 GM alternators. The 133 only puts out about 90 amps at around 2,000 RPM's. At Idle, its way on down there. Also, the 133 is very intricate to rebuild.

The 144 on the other hand is very simple to rebuild even on the side of the road with "basic" hand tools. The rebuild kit runs less that $100 I know. But it's been a while.

The bolt pattern may be a "tab" bit off, especially in the larger 144's. For example mine. It is the 144 170amp Dual rectifier and I had to elongate one whole so I could get bolts in. And the 3rd is nowhere close. I have been running it for 5K miles if not more and have no problems. It charges good when you have a good battery. I can't remember where I got it from. Something like alternatoraccessories.com or something simular. Emmett turned me on to them. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    You can go toPowermasters Motor Sports and get a bit more technical info.

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Check out this web site: http://www.alternatorparts.com/index.html They have lots of info on the different styles, as well as good prices on rebuild kits and parts to convert them to higher current output. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif