Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

CSENG 101: Common Sense for Engineers

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by ryan22re, Feb 1, 2006.

1. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

if there isnt one, there should be.

dam engineers.

been playing musical engines in the dyno past two weeks. move one in, move one out. move another in and another out.

so i wired one up last night, to be ready to run in the morning. one of the wires i hooked up, which i should have checked :mad: , was just twisted together and taped over. when my co-worker moved the engine this morning to install the flywheel, the wire came apart and shorted out. burned most of the wiring harness and shorted out a prototype ecu.

this wire was installed by two engineers with a four year degree (maybe even masters). :mad: wtf?

2. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

Expression; throw **** at the wall, see what sticks. Enginerds may have gone through school, doesn't mean they learned anything. Its like most professions, most people aren't "naturals" My rant, Engr. without school.:haha:

3. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

we get college degree inspectors on jobsites all the time. they know if somethings wrong, but they dont know how to find it where to look that kind of thing. you cant teach expierience. put a highschool drop out that been in the field for 30 yrs and hell find everymistake. (granted he has half a brain)

4. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

...and put a college grad with 30 years of experience in there and he'll find it too :o

Lack of common sense isn't limited to engineers, although as an ME in training, it sure seems to be more prevalent among them. :doah:

5. justinf

justinf 1/2 ton status

Exactly, the college education gives you an understanding of the theory, but real world experience is what makes a good engineer.