Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Cuban Missile Crisis

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by TSGB, Nov 1, 2005.

1. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

For those who were around at that time, what do you remember about it? I was born in 87, so about all I've been around for is the Berlin Wall, terrorism, Clinton, and Bushes! There's a CMC thing on the History Channel right now, and was hoping to get some first-hand accounts.

2. wasted wages

wasted wages 3/4 ton status

Cuban Missle Crisis

short version,,

Russia was bringing missles into cuba,,we spotted them,,
    Kennedy told Russia to get their stuff the **** out or we would turn Cuba into glass,,we ran a blockade on Russia's ships and dared them to cross it.
    They turned their ship's back and got their **** out of cuba,,

The Kennedy's rocked back then,,,,

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

And alot of people started building bomb shelters in thier back yards.

4. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

I remember seeing the Berlin Wall fall on TV as a kid. I remember an election for Reagan as well, I was about 2 and a half when that election happened. Look online, there's a bunch of good stuff on the cuban missile crisis. Thirteen Days is a pretty good movie, too. Shows just how close we got to war.

5. rugger03

rugger03 1/2 ton status

If you want a good read on the cuban missle crisis i highly recommend the "essence of decision" by graham allison. You should be able to walk into any barnes and noble and pick it up. It tells the story of not only what was happening at the time but how and why the decisions were made during it.
    But to sum it up. The USSR decided to put missles in cuba becuase we had them in turkey and we refused to move them, they(USSR) decided if it was ok for us it was ok for them. Thats an over simplification, and you really need to look at kennedy era cold war politics to get the big picture. Another truely fascinating read on the topic is a book called "Memoirs of Nikita Khrushchev" its a long read but its written by his son. It has some intresting insites to when he (khrushchev) took his shoe off at the UN and started beating it on the table and said "we will bury you" anyway enough rambling on. There are some others worth reading on the subject but those are probally my favorites on the topic.

Cheers,
    rugger

6. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

People were scared, but I don't think most people realized how potentially bad it really was. Certainly kids didn't really know much about it. So not too much of an impression. Duck and Cover drills increased during that time. So amazingly useless and illogical, yet practiced routinely. I think its only value was giving kids something to do. I was 7 during the missle crisis. I saw Kennedy get shot on TV too not long after that. That was something that did really impact everyone, kid or adult. I still remember where I was and what I was doing at the time, and during the funeral.

7. ronnny

ronnny 1/2 ton status

Not real good on history but weren't the cuban missle crisis in the 70's. Was In elementry school then and about all i knew about it was the fallout shelters. '87 humm was the iran contra hearing with olie north already over by then or just after? Watch the history channel anyway and learn from the past. Will help you keep from making some mistakes that others made in the past. You never know when some of them "history of" shows will come in handy. Just becareful when watching some on religion. Not everone has the same views as most of us.

8. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

The 60's dude . I wasn't alive yet , but it was the 60's .

The 70's was the gas crisis , plane hi-jackings , watergate , gay hair and clothes , and Nova's with marshmallow roofs :D

9. Inu-Hanyou1776

Inu-Hanyou1776 1/2 ton status

You are WAY off base! Cuban Missile Crisis happened in 1962! I've studied enough history to know that, even though I was born in '82. Yeah, only Cold War stuff I got to see was Gorbachev's reforms, fall of the Berlin Wall, the collapse of the Soviet Union, and everything that's happened since then.

10. ronnny

ronnny 1/2 ton status

At least i remembered that the berlin wall was still there when we lived over there in the early 80's. Pa was in the army and we kids were around middle school age. I was around for the fall of the soviet union but don't remember much of nothing about it at all. Lately have got so that i only watch 1 or 2 hours of tv a week for who knows how long. So sometimes i miss alot of what is in the news. just in the last few years not much worth watching.

11. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

came down late 80s, early 90s.

12. thor

thor 1/2 ton status

There is a lot more to it, Besides our 15 jupiter missles in turkey, we also armed and trained a bunch of cuban refugees (who had fled Cuba when Castro took power) and sent/delivered them back to cuba (April 17, 1961) with the promise we had their backs. Seems we thought that Castro didn't have popular support, and we thought they would just walk in. When they hit the beach and were slaughtered, it became evident he did have juice. Even though we had assets in place to finish the invasion we did nothing, but watch, it re-enforced Castro's belief that we were going to attack him. President Kennedy approved the plan for the "bay of pigs" just three months into his presidency, however the initial plans were made during the Eisenhower administration.

We did come close to a war there and we are all fortunate that it didn't happen. I saw on history channel that Castro wanted to use nukes against us, the Russians did not give him release authority to use missles, but did authorize him to use and gave him control of several tactical nukes on Cuba if we would have gone in to get the missles.

Here is a good link to the timeline of events.... Extreme Chess.

13. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

I don't think you were referring to me, but I know a good bit about history. But what you read in books and see on tv is usually very different from first hand accounts!

Scary ****.

14. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

That extreme chess link is pretty good.

15. thor

thor 1/2 ton status

TSGB, No sir I wasn't refering anything to you, or any one... Just tossing out my $.02 on a subject that fascinates me (foreign policy, and some times lack of) ..