Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

cucv 52" spring swap?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by greywolf, Nov 7, 2005.

1. greywolf

greywolf 1/2 ton status

who with cucv's have done this swap?i want to do it on my 82 k10 and use military d ring mounts on the front(haven't cut holes my stock bumper yet).pics would be helpfull
    1)do the springs get in the way of the mount?

T I A
    George

Last edited: Nov 8, 2005
  2. randy88k5

randy88k5 1/2 ton status

This is one of the most popular topics on this site. Use the search feature, Im sure all of your questions can be answered there. I havent done the swap, but there is a good write up in the technical section

http://coloradok5.com/52inchspringswap.shtml

Good luck :waytogo:

3. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Well, what greywolf was asking is "What the heck do I do with my front clevis tube", as the holes for it will be blocked by the new (forward) spring hanger.

This is a good question, as it's one I have to answer when I put 52"'s on my '74 which has CUCV shackles on both ends.

I figure I'll just be doing a lot of drilling up front. I donno yet. Worst case, greywolf, ask me again in a month or two ... I've just started tearing mine down in preparation for the spring upgrade and crossover, so I've got a while 'fore I'm finished.

-- A

4. randy88k5

randy88k5 1/2 ton status

Im sorry, upon re-reading it, I see I misunderstood. I should have noticed.

To answer the question, I dont know. I dont have the shackles. So I wish you luck in your swap.

5. greywolf

greywolf 1/2 ton status

randy,sorry i redid the title.i did use the search with no luck :D
    dremu, have to get this done with my 1 ton swap if i get done before you i'll let you know :crazy: :haha: :doah: back to the mayhem.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2005
  6. greywolf

greywolf 1/2 ton status

7. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

I just got my front end torn down ... I *HATE* rivets :angry1: with a passion ... anyway.

What *I* would do if I were you, and likely what I'll do, is notch the shackle tube with a grinder, so it fits over the front L-bracket for the spring mount. If this doesn't make sense lemme know and I'll photochop a pic to point it out.

Anyway, I think those are the only two bits that want to occupy the same space at the same time :D Once the tube is notched okay, I'd bolt it in and call it good. Those shackles are okay for recovery but they aren't for airlift, that's for sure.

If you have a welder or access to one, you could weld the shackle tube to the L-bracket once it's all bolted in place ... well, tack it, then remove it and weld it for real, etc. I may do this, hafta see how it works ... I'm doing this on my '74 which has the wrong (older) front frame setup and a brushguard ... and a hidden winch that bolts up, ALL right there, grr ... that front end is gonna be freaaaking TIGHT to work in.

Hope this helps, and lemme know if you want pix.

-- A