Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

CUCV blazer frames thicker???

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by BowtieBlazer, Jun 13, 2005.

1. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

I was told about a thread I believe on TDR or maybe it was thediesel page, about how the writer would have used a military blazer frame if he had to do his project again because it was more renforced than the civillian model?? I was unaware of any differences between the two, atleast hadn't seen anything posted here...

2. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

I think the 1 ton frames in the M1008's were reinforced from what I have read, but I have not heard about the M1009's having anything extra.

3. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

I'm with KW on this one ... the M1009's are just stock Blazers.

Now, the M1028 pickups I think have the goodies (as opposed to the M1008's), but I could be wrong.

-- A

4. mcinfantry

mcinfantry 1/2 ton status

5. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

Ok, the same guy who says that the M1009 frames are stronger also recomends using a 46RE behind a 6bt, im having a lot of doubt about the credibility of his info. Those tranny's dont hold up behind 318's, and if anything are weaker than a 700R4. Also, the M1009's were not 1 ton like he seems to think.

6. BowtieBlazer

i questioned the credability too, just asking people who do know

7. 1meanm1009

1meanm1009 Registered Member

What dont get is why is the m1009 listed as a 3/4 ton when still has 10 bolts?

8. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

Because the military rating system is based on actual capacity of the truck not just the factory generalizations. A military 3/4 ton truck has a payload capacity of 1500 lb while a 1-1/4 ton truck has a capacity of 2500 lb.

9. j20m715

j20m715 1/2 ton status

The frames are the SAME, but the m1009 frame has extra braces.

10. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Well he definitely claims some knowledge but his info is not correct.
    If you are looking for a thicker frame, go with a 76-77 frame.
    Those years were still thick and I think went all the way to 79 or maybe even 80.
    Then they started thinning oput the blazer frames for weight loss and pushed the limits for strength since they weren't planning on adding bigger tires and such they didn't really need any stronger.
    I have the 76 with a 5.9 perkins diesel and it held up fine except for the box location.
    The crossmember was removed and another made between the bellhousing and the engine and the front brace that holds the brake proportionning Valve was hacked and reinforced for clearing the balancer.
    I drove it off road for 4 years so I know it'll take it.

11. NYDIESELDAVE

NYDIESELDAVE 1/2 ton status

I have a CUCV M1008 I'm doing a frame off with. I to had heard that the frames were thikcker so I dd some research and from what I can tell, the civilain and military frames are the same thickness; for the most part that is. There are actually serval versions of the military blazer. Some even came with 3/4 ton susp since they were special needs vehicles. I have heard that there were specialty military Blazers made with thicker frames, but for the most part they are the same as there civilan counterpart. (Obviously I'm talking only about the frame since there was alot else different for the two) I have a GMC Jimmy for a parts veh (also a 6.2 diesel)and a M1009. From what I can tell the military one does have a few more braces than the civilian model. It also came with a few extra skid plates and shields than the civilian model did. I would be more than happy to send you what ever measurements you may be interested in for the military one. Let me know.

12. BowtieBlazer

pictures alone would be help enough I have plenty of mine in the only frame stage...