Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

CUCV C14 Carriers are "special"???

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BadDog, May 2, 2002.

1. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

CUCV C14 Carriers are \"special\"???

I just saw posted on PBB that the 4.56 C14FF carriers in CUCVs are somehow odd ball and won't fit any normal ring gears. Is this true? I thought there were 2 carriers for C14FF. 4.10 and down for the highway gears. And 4.56+ for the lower gears. Why would there be a "special" 4.56 only carrier? What gives???

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Re: CUCV C14 Carriers are \"special\"???

Did the poster give any specifics? I'd be surprised if the CUCV carriers were different.

Rene

3. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

To the best of my knowledge, there is nothing special about the military carriers. It is the same open differential you'd get on a civilian truck with 4.56+ gears. I've had my hands on 3 and they were no different.

There is always the possibility that somewhere on paper they are "special", much the same way the drivetrain from a civilian 1 ton rates 1 & 1/4 ton in the CUCV. Stricktly a play on words and specs created to meet a contract.

4. René

René 1/2 ton status

The only difference is the Detroit Locker, which is original on the Army-axles.

5. BadDog

Sorry to be so long responding. I lost my dialup connection right after I posted this and couldn't get it back. I'm on the office LAN now so...

Anyway, they didn't get specific about it. Just said that there were no gear sets available except 4.56. Sorta like the D61s and such. I posted this question over there on that thread but didn't get a response. Figured if anyone new *the truth", it would be someone here. This is the first I've heard of it, and I thought they were all the same. What point would there be to making an odd-ball? Of course, many times there are odd-balls with no apparent reason...

6. BadDog

I would have figured something like that was up, except that I called Randy's about 5.13s a couple of weeks ago and was told that they didn't have anything except thick gears. Then I saw that post and thought WTF?

7. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

That's interesting info from Randy's, I've always heard that they knew there stuff. Maybe the 5.13 (for the 4.56 carrier) is only available from GM (OUCH!!). I have 5.13's but they are on a 4.10 carrier (bought them new / unused froma friend).

At one time I heard that Boyce Equipment was supposed to be selling GM 5.13 take out ring & pinions, you might try them.