Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

CUCV Dana 60

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by AZ79K5Project, Sep 1, 2006.

1. AZ79K5Project

AZ79K5Project 1/2 ton status

Front Chevy Dana 60 Military all complete - $1150

This is being sold around Phoenix. What kind of mods would be needed to a 79 K5 if I were to pick something like this up? I don't have any extra $$$, just asking for future build ideas.

I've read many threads on the dana 60 swap and but I must be completely brain dead on this issue. I cannot wrap my head around what to look at, stay away from, or seek out.:confused:
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Are these correct statements:

I should look for a chevy one ton donor around the same year with SRW axle or if I use a DRW - use bigger backspace wheels. i.e Hummer wheels.

The SRW application will bolt right up, but the DRW will have to have the spring purches moved in a little.

High steer or x-over would have to be modded on and a 2wd steering box is needed.

The pitman drop arm has to be reemed out for any x-over or high steer application (including a D44 or 10 bolt x-over setup).

The engine crossmember has to be redone when the steering is redone.

U-joints are made to bolt the stock driveshaft to the larger D60 case or I have to have a new driveline built/modded to accomodate the larger U-joints.

anything else?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    I read Pirates Dana 60 info and it helped some but confused me in other areas. I read some stuff about the Dodge D60. Is that a direct fit also or are there significant mods that have to be done to use one of those?

The reason I am asking also about the D44 crossover is because I have flat top's in the garage and got concerned after reading a couple of threads about what is needed.

Thanks for any input anyone can offer...

2. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Are these correct statements:

I should look for a chevy one ton donor around the same year with SRW axle or if I use a DRW - use bigger backspace wheels. i.e Hummer wheels. Yes

The SRW application will bolt right up, but the DRW will have to have the spring purches moved in a little. No. All GM front axles have the same spring pad spacing.

High steer or x-over would have to be modded on and a 2wd steering box is needed. No the stock push pull steering will bolt right up.

The pitman drop arm has to be reemed out for any x-over or high steer application (including a D44 or 10 bolt x-over setup). No not required

The engine crossmember has to be redone when the steering is redone. No not required. If you go crossover use a bent draglink.

U-joints are made to bolt the stock driveshaft to the larger D60 case or I have to have a new driveline built/modded to accomodate the larger U-joints. Front drive shaft is a direct bolt up for all GM applications. 1310 Ujoint

anything else?

I bolted mine right up including brake lines as I had a 10 bolt and not a Dana 44 when I started. The dana 44 uses a smaller hole on the line that has to be opened up for the banjo bolt on the caliper.

Ira