Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

CUCV diesel questions

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by scotty1, Apr 8, 2002.

1. scotty1

scotty1 1/2 ton status

I am concidering getting a M1008 1ton military pickup, these of course have the 6.2 diesel. I have very little experience with these mottors and wanted to know if there are any bad items I should look out for? I would probably hook up a Banks turbo unit to get more HP out of it and want to mount up 35" tires, how bad of impact would the larger tires have? Thanks for your responses.

2. kickinasphalt383

kickinasphalt383 1/2 ton status

i wheel my M1008 with no turbo and 36" surplus humvee tires... does awesome in everything but sand. a turbo would be sweeetttt though!

3. scotty1

scotty1 1/2 ton status

What kind of lift if any do you run for your 36" tires to fit?

4. kickinasphalt383

i ran no lift w/ cut fenders and then half a year later added a 6" skyjacker lift and am now waiting for bigger and better things!

if you cut the fenders like i did the 36s will never touch even in the most twisted of positions

5. scotty1

scotty1 1/2 ton status

That is cool, I don't mind cutting fenders at all! With the 6" lift and trimmed fenders I bet you can fit 40" +.

6. kickinasphalt383

good luck with the truck if you decide to get it and let me know how it goes. it fun a$$ truck that you can beat the living crap out of, at least i have for the past 3 years!

7. René

René 1/2 ton status

The M1008 has a very short ratio in the rear axle, so you can drive large wheels without problems. I advise against a turbo, if you don’t want to modify the whole engine.

8. scotty1

scotty1 1/2 ton status

I know the engine was not designed for a turbo, it would be a can o worms to put one on? Sounds like I would be better off to swap in a gas engine.

9. AgDieseler

AgDieseler Certified Scrap Producer Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Your 6.2L will work great with the Banks kit. There are thousands of people who have done this installation, so your case is nothing new. It is the best single upgrade that one can make to a 6.2L that is in working order. I highly recommend the upgrade. Visit www.thedieselpage.com and go to their forums to talk to others that have done this install. Also, pay the $15 yearly membership and gain access to volumes of knowledge for not just the 6.2L, but the 6.5L and 6.6L Dmax as well. There, that's my shameless marketing plug.

Also, I am going to install the Banks turbo and exhaust in my truck. Have no fear, there's a bombproof engine in there.

10. kickinasphalt383

i agree with agdieseler. tons of people add banks turbos to there 6.2s, it was a dealer option on GMCs in the late 80s and into the 90s till the 6.5TD came out. as soon as i can find a cheap used turbo setup i am gonna add it to my truck

11. scotty1

scotty1 1/2 ton status

That is excellent, I have a line on a truck and think I will check it out the next couple of days. Where is a good place to get the Banks kit as far as price? I understand It is not too hard to install.

12. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

I also agree with the others, turbo can be installed on a stock motor just fine.

Some of the www.thedieselpage.com advertisers sell Banks systems. You can also buy directly from Banks.

Complete systems with exhaust typically start at about $1800.

Casey

13. scotty1

scotty1 1/2 ton status

Did you use the Bushwacker cutout fender flares or just trimmed the metal? I am thinking of the BW cutouts and how big a wheel the stock setup would clear?

14. kickinasphalt383

No I just trimmed the metal... no flares. Stock with fender trimming will fit 36s or 37s... 38s would be pushin it probably??? but i don't know for sure.

i put some pictures on a webshots account if you want to take a look... there are only 2 pics with no lift and 36s and they will kinda give you an idea of how much room you have to work with, but like i said i never got the tires to rub even in some nasty twisted positions.

http://community.webshots.com/user/kickinasphalt383

15. scotty1

scotty1 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the pics, it gives me a good idea of how it would look. I would not plan on anything bigger than 37"s with the stock 4:56 gears for myself. I kind of like a 4" lift to keep things with a lower center of gravity, but may not need to go with that if it looks good with those 36's and cutout fenders.

16. scotty1

scotty1 1/2 ton status

I checked on the truck, it needs some body and frame work, minor rust underneath, but overall it is nice. I think I will offer him 5K cash and he fixes the problems, I am still trying to factor in the cost of a lift, ($1300) at local 4x4 shop, Banks turbo ($1800) approx, and new tires and wheels ($1000) .

17. kickinasphalt383

What are your plans for:
    lift- all spring? spring and rear blocks? spring and shackle flip? how much lift?

what tires?

what wheels?

u suck, your gonna get a turbo before me... j/k /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

just curious, i like lifted M1008s! if you didn't already know

18. scotty1

scotty1 1/2 ton status

I am thinking new front springs and rear shackle flip for 4" of lift in addition Bushwacker Cutout fender flares. This combo should allow fitment of 36"-38" tires. I plan to go with a black steel wheel 16x10 and 4" of backspace to fit a 12.5 wide tire. I am not real sure about type of tires, I like Interco's selection but not going to limit myself. The Banks kit would be the crowning touch for the HP and tourqe boost the 6.2 diesel needs. I still have not decided about the truck, I need to talk to the guy to see if he will bite on my offer.

19. AJMBLAZER

AJMBLAZER Better to be lucky than good. Premium Member

Dude, I know you said you had a reason for not doing the lift yourself (sorry, having a blonde evening, can't remember what it was you said/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif), but man, that's a lot for a lift on these trucks./forums/images/icons/tongue.gif Front springs, 4" ORD shackle flip, shocks, longer brake lines, steering correction, and whatever else I am forgetting shouldn't cost more than $700 if you shop around and get good prices on it. The savings would be most of those tires or a good chunk of that turbo kit./forums/images/icons/cool.gif

20. scotty1

scotty1 1/2 ton status

That price is installed with 4 new shocks, fresh sway bar bushings, bar drop connects, front end alignment, steering drop arm/bar, and a few other things. I am gonna call the shop in a nearby town for another qoute.