Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

CUCV EXPERTS?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by tree_entz, Sep 2, 2004.

1. tree_entz

tree_entz 1/2 ton status

going to go look at a CUCV that our local fire dept. is putting up for sale (85?). I'm aware of the CUCV specs, and being a chevy owner....well you know how it is, you kinda know what to look for after a while (even if it's cause you had learn the hard way /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif).
    any way, anything I should look for outside the chevy norm?
    they havn't set a price yet, i'm thinking it might be steep since they probably washed it all the time. I'll keep you guys posted, but some input would be good. /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

2. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

The price might be lower than you think--I posted awhile back on the 78 K30 Rescue Wagon my brother got for 700 bucks,with a dana 60,TH400,400SBC,heavy duty everything--but rusty.Another friend of his scored a 1966 GMC Panel Suburban 4x4 Rescue Wagon,mint shape,chrome bumpers,grille,fancy cab marker lights,16,700 miles on it,292 six with SM465 tranny for 1,575 dollars! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif.He outbid the fire cheif by 75 bucks!. I wish I could find another truck like that for that price--I love those old Suburbans with the arrow shaped taillights and barn doors!. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

3. tree_entz

tree_entz 1/2 ton status

wow /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

I'm still betting it's gonna go in the 3-5k range. I know a lot of guys in the dept from here and there and I think I can find out if it's been spanked or not. (kinda like asking around about a girl your interested in... /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif)

Like I said, I know what to look for on chevy's, just not sure about specifics for CUCVs. It's a pick-up, and probably black and red (durrr). M=10009 series not the blazer. This is kind of truck I've always wanted.
    well... we'll see....

4. 85HeartBurb

85HeartBurb 1/2 ton status

It's m1009 and if you need the military manual let me know i can burn a disk for you!!!

5. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

M1008 is the standard pickup, M1009 is the K5. There are also other K30 based trucks, but they are more unusual to run across...

12/24V hibrid electrical can be trouble if it's trashed like mine was. I switched to 12V from a civi. Other than that, it's mostly a stripped K30 with a 6.2, 4.56 gears, and a rear locker. Of course it also has (unless removed) black out lights, service plugs, tie-downs, pintel hitch, etc...

6. atho

atho 1/2 ton status

...and the NP208. Civvy K30's had the 203 or the 205, but never the 208. One of the harder to find CUCV's did have a 205, because it needed a pto provision. I am still wondering why the army spec'd the 208 in these /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

7. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Actually, civi K30s also had 208s in the mid/late 80s (unless I'm hallucinating).

And my M1008 did come with a 205 (normally only in a 1030 and 1028?) but it was probably swapped in the garage from a parts donor just to keep it going…

8. atho

atho 1/2 ton status

I have never seen or heard of one with a 208 from the factory but hey, it could happen. Justthe 205 behind Th400's, SM465's, and 4l80e(91 only).