Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

CUCV, How much will it be worth?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Memphis, Dec 5, 2005.

1. Memphis

Memphis Registered Member

Hey Pirate Guys and Gals, I am wondering what you think this truck and other parts will be worth. I am looking to buy a CUCV Blazer from a guy who owns a surplus in Ottawa, and my main dilemma is the axles which are under it... Body stuff I can deal with as I will most likely trim the fenders for larger tires.
    Please Keep in mind that this is Canadian pricing:

1985 Chev Blazer
    6.2 Diesel
    4x4
    Camo
    Certifiable
    $4995

Mileage: 70,000 miles
    112,000 Km's

Body
    Floor: Good
    Tail Gate: Hole
    Rockers: Need Work
    Fender Flares: Need Work
    Topper: Good
    Front Bumper Bent

Tires: Needs Tires

Electronics
    Lights: Work
    Wipers: Work
    Cab Windows: Manual
    Rear Windows: Manual

Diff's
    3.08 Gearing
    Gov-Lock Rear
    10 Bolt

I also asked him about axles he had in stock and these are the prices he gave me if I wanted to buy additional parts to complete the swap to make my Blazer a 1 Ton.

Axles 4.56's
    14bolt Rear Axle: $550
    D60 Front Axle: $1200 /w Detriot Locker

Now he also has an M1008 at his lot and he wants $8500 for it, I forgot to ask about the specs on it, primarily mileage and body condition because I know what it has for axles, gearing, locker etc.

Would I be better off trying to buy the M1008 or go for the M1009 and buy axles and junk later. With the 10bolt and 3.08's I have read that turning 33's will be a bitch and a half and I want to go with 35"-36" tires.

Conversions to US Dollar:

M1008 $7,346.43 USD
    M1009 $4,317.48 USD
    14B + D60 Axles $1,512.66 USD

Buy the Blazer + Axles= $5830.14 USD or $6745 CAD

Again, I do not know what the condition of the M1008 is in but in USD it is $3000 more, would it be worth it to just buy it and try and knock down the price or should I go for the Blazer and buy the axles and knock down the price?

Perhaps he will give me more of a deal if I buy a Blazer and the Axles, I really don't know to be honest. Can I have some opinions if it would be better to swap the axles in or just buy the M1008, I don't mind doing a little work, but I don't want it to turn into A LOT of work if I attempt the swap.

Any input will be appreciated.
    Sorry for the LONG ASS POST

2. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

I assume this is a CUCV blazer. That seems high even for Canadian $$$. I paid $1100 US for mine with 36,000 original miles.

The axle prices seem good, though.

3. 81jimmyslt

81jimmyslt 1/2 ton status

Might as well go with the M1008 as you will spend a lot of money doing the swap just in little parts. Especially if you plan to do it right. Unless you absolutely want a blazer then I would buy a cheaper K5 blazer or GMC jimmy and buy the axle set form the surplus guy and then swap them. I wouldn't touch that blazer for 5K.

go for the M1008, but thats still expensive. One more thing that 14 bolt should have a detroit too, if not runaway with the D60.

Get the axles and a cheap blazer.

Jesse

4. Memphis

Memphis Registered Member

Hey thanks for the replies.
    I am wanting the 6.2 Diesel more then anything, I want it for the torque, if I buy something else, I would probably still buy axles off of this surplus guy if they are a good enough deal. I really have to go and see what he has, but his lot is 8 hours away from me so it's not really possible in a weekend since I don't own my own car (I am a poor ass student living at home :D )
    I don't care if it has camo or not, I just want a badass rig that is capable with everything, I tow stuff as well so that is why I want a diesel.

I can find a few Blazers (k5's) in the autotrader here in Canada but they all have 350 4bbl which will be hard on my wallet :( so I want the diesel even though it is more money at the moment, the damn thing should run forever.

My main goal is to buy something that is manual everything, no computer, electrical operated crap,

Mechanical Injection, no power options. I just want a bare bones truck that will kick ass on the trail and thats damn hard to find in Canada.

The axles sound like a good deal and the 14 bolt is locked, but the M1008 he is selling is just WAY too much.
    I really don't want to pay more then $4000 CAD for something, and the seller is asking double that amount.

I have looked at Gov Liquidation but I know nothing about importing a vehicle into Canada.

5. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

If you buy that K5, you'll be wanting those axles to do any towing. The 6.2 is really gutless with the factory 3.08 gears that came in the M1009.

Plus if it is a military blazer with that many miles, count on replacing the injectors, and possibly an injection pump. The Army likes to use things other than diesel to run these trucks and some of the components don't like that.

When I still had the 6.2, the diesel mechanic told me that old militry CUCVs could keep him in business because of that. I had to replace the injector pump and all the injectors. That's over $1000 right there, and I did the injector install myself.

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I did the rebuilt pump and injectors for $347 USD which included shipping both directions. www.accuratediesel.com is where I got mine done.

Rene