Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

CUCV Hubs

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ZooMad75, Jan 23, 2004.

1. ZooMad75

ZooMad75 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I've come across a set of Hubs taken off a CUCV Blazer. They look better than the spicer hubs my '75 has. Are the military hubs any better or worse than buying Warn or MM premiums?

2. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

The actual CUCV locking hubs are just Warn hubs painted black. They're good hubs but IMO your Spicers are better.

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Spicers are definitely a stronger hub. I'm eventually hoping to swap out the Warn's on my D60 to Spicers (if I can find a set...)

Rene

4. Hardcore

Hardcore 1/2 ton status

Does spicer make hubs for 35 spline outers, how much are they?

5. nvrenuf

The Spicers were only made in 30 spline versions. The hubs have been discontinued for quite some time now. Really your only option is to find a used set and have the inner gear broached to 35 spline (there is enough material to do this). Steve Gerstner of Differential Engineering does the broaching but I don't kow if he sells complete hub sets.

6. ZooMad75

ZooMad75 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Thanks for the replys. I'm little confused now though. Most guys here are going after the Warn premiums than the Spicers. I know the 35 spline outers with Warns are the ticket on a D60, but Spicers seem to be more complex (i.e. more prone to break) than all of the aftermarket hubs out there. Is there something about the Spicer units that I'm missing?

Good thing it was mentioned that the Spicers are discontinued, thats going to play in what I decide to put in. I don't need to break one and not be able to get parts for it!

7. nvrenuf

I'm sure you've noticed that pretty much all of the aftermarket hubs use aluminum guts (the popular Warn premiums included), the Spicers have all steel internals. Although I'm sure it's possible, I can't say that I have ever even heard of anyone breaking a spicer hub.

The down side of the Spicers is that (in my experience) they tend to be very difficult to lock/unlock on front ends with L/S's or lockers.