Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

CUCV K5...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Lotsa_Faith, Dec 22, 2001.

1. Lotsa_Faith

Lotsa_Faith 1/2 ton status

My mom works at the YMCA...she works with an 18 year old guy who has a CUCV Blazer. He was talking to her today about her trying to get him a good job at another place she knows of, and he told her "if you get me a good, one-week job over the summer, then I will sell you my truck for $1000." I'm sure it has the 6.2 diesel in it, which kinda worries me. Are these engines any good? gas mileage? power? How much trouble would it be to swap in a 350? could i get any money off of selling the 6.2 saying it had about 100K miles on it? any info will be appreciated...

Mike Dee

2. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

If it's running, I would probably just stick to the 6.2. Although, it is rather anemic, they are pretty dependable and will run fine at crazy angles.

It's not too bad to convert to carbureted gas (pre computer). Pop the diesel out and the gas engine bolts right in. Big or small block, makes no difference. Same mounts, same bell housing, even the torque converter is that same bolt pattern. Exhaust may need minor modifications in some models (where the pipe bolts to the manifold) but some models bolt right up. Nothing major either way. Just make sure that all the accessories (or at least the brackets) come with the gas motor since the diesel won't fit. Small modifications are required to fit the hydro-boost power steering pump from the diesel onto the gasser but nothing huge. Wiring is different, probably best to just get the harness from the engine donor. The torque converter will work but you may want to change it for a higher stall. The only thing left (that I can think of) is the gas/fuel tank. For carbureted, it can be as simple as cleaning out the diesel and filling with gas (although the pickup may need to be changed).

Now, for a fuel injection gas burner it gets a bit more trouble. I am just finishing up on a diesel to TBI (throttle body injection) 350 conversion. That requires changing out the cab harness, installing the controlling computer, routing the high pressure fuel lines is a pain due to odd-ball metric fittings that are almost impossible to find. I also had to modify the tank to accept the TBI fuel tank pickup (with pump), you could use an inline but they are twice the price (some feel inline is less dependable although generally easier to replace).

Only other thing I can think of is that you probably want to ditch the 24V/12V hybrid electrical system. When you get the donor motor, look for an appropriate truck and get the cab AND engine harness along with all the accessories. It's cheaper that way and less of a headache. One thing I just discovered is that the military chassis harness sub connectors are not wired the same as civilian so you will need to rearrange the wires on the rear chassis sub connector. Front seems mostly the same but I haven't completely gone through it yet.

That's everything I can think of. It's not that hard but if you don't have some experience with this sort of thing, you want to either find some experienced help or make sure you can take your time. Good luck.

Russ

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, 205, D60/C14, 4.56 Locked
    Some day: 4" lift, 44" tires, massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.

3. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

Yes they're terrible trucks - might explode on start-up, better let me take it so no one get's hurt!

All kidding aside, DON'T convert it to gas. If you can't deal with the diesel, sell it! Good CUCV M1009s go for around $3000-5000. Do you think a stock '86 Blazer could get that much on the used market?

Real trucks don't have spark plugs!

4. BadDog

BTW, I do agree with DieselDan. I should have mentioned that the genesis for my conversion was the fact that my truck came WITHOUT the diesel. The previous owner had rolled it and left it running which resulted in a toasted 6.2. He put a new body on it but had to sell it before he could get a new diesel in it. I don't like working on diesels and, since I had to buy an engine anyway, I went for the cheaper, more plentiful, easier to work on (for me), easier to find parts fore, cheaper to buy parts for, more powerful, and lighter, TBI 350. Of course, diesels have their benefits too. Longevity, dependability (generally-especially in the long haul work trucks), better fuel mileage, etc. They just don't apply to the rig I'm building.

Russ

5. Lotsa_Faith

OK now i know who to talk to about diesel swaps BadDog...now the oonly other ? i got is about how much money could i get for a 6.2 diesel....saying it had 100K miles(prolly has wayyy less than that...)?

Mike Dee

6. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

Older 6.2s aren't worth that much, maybe $1000 (max) if you're lucky and advertise. Later 6.5s are worth a bit more especially if the turbo & manifolds are still intact.

7. BigJohnson

BigJohnson 1/2 ton status

One other thing for a gas swap....re-calibrate the governor in the tranny. The diesel shift points are much lower and the gas motor will not build any RPM. I adjusted mine and it made all the difference in the world. B&M makes a kit for the TH400 for about $30 its well worth the money.

8. Lotsa_Faith

OK....i just looked on ebay and a '81 6.2 w/56k miles just went for $1800...so that would be AWESOME to get that much for it...ok does anyone know the detailed specs on the CUCV blazer? i got so far 6.2 diesel, np205/208? , then 1 ton axles?

Mike Dee

9. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

Military blazers came with 700r4s, NP208, and 1/2 ton axles :(

86Jimmy 4"&35"MTRs,87 burb 4"&33"MT,69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>

10. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

The military trucks were the ones with 1 ton axles and the th400 and 205

86Jimmy 4"&35"MTRs,87 burb 4"&33"MT,69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>

11. Lotsa_Faith

700r4's don't have overdrive do they?

i guess 1/2 ton axles is kind of a drawback, but how much money would someone pay for 2 10 bolts? i found out that i can have a second vehicle other than this one, so i wanna do it right and make it bulletproof...i absolutely have to have 14 bolt back, and i dunno at least a d44 front...

i will probably try to switch to gas, cause i know nothing about diesels...

then prolly like 4" lift, hack the fenders as much as i can and stuff the biggest tires i can fit...that will make it a REAL southern mud truck...hahah

Mike Dee

12. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

If the CUCV's are as valuable as others say, might I suggest getting another POS Blazer, and hack IT up, instead of what I'm assuming to be a straight, complete, reliable truck?

It would be your truck of course, but the way I look at it is, if you are going to destroy something, why not start out with a truck that has little value in the first place? If you ever change your mind on the CUCV, you could easily sell it in stock form. Modified, you will have a tough time getting what you put into it back out when sale time comes. If you can get it for $1000, and sell it for $3000, I imagine you can get a decent K5 for a lot less than that, and still be able to finance your buildup. (better axles, motor, etc)

Thats my take on it anyways..I'm just speaking through experience. Friend spent $4500 or so on a perfectly straight, (very nice! no AC, all black, red interior) perfect running K5. Promptly took it out wheeling, took out the tailgate and body. No way he will even get $2000 out of it now, even though the motor and tranny are new. He could've started out with a POS in the first place, and spent $3500 building a real tough truck.

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</a>
    Why insist on counting when the ring gear has the tooth counts stamped in?

13. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

IIRC, and FWIW, : ) The Military K5's were all TH400's. Even the early HMMWV's were TH400's. (3L80) I'm 99% sure our '86 K5's (M1009's right?) were all 3 speeds.

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</a>
    Why insist on counting when the ring gear has the tooth counts stamped in?

14. BadDog

Dorian is right about not trashing the CUCV K5. I wouldn't do what I am doing with my CUCV K30 if it were complete when I got it. But mine was missing the engine AND the body is a civi 2WD so, no big deal. Even so, several people have expressed their displeasure that I am even cutting up the frame (k30guy for one). Even if it didn't have special value (if it was a civi diesel K5) you are negating the value of your "good deal" by doing the engine swap (in both time and cost). Take the $1k, add the cost of the gas engine, factor in your time, add the loss of use, and you could buy a K5 *with* gas engine (even TBI) and maybe even already upgraded with lift, tires, wheels, axles, etc. That way you save time and trouble, plus you get a more capable vehicle that you can use now. Like Dorian said, if you can get a good deal on the 1009, just sell it and take the extra money to put toward the K5 you want (instead of spending more to convert). That 1009 is EXACTLY what someone wants, why not let them have it and then you get what you want too...

Just my opinion, do what you want. It is definitely doable but, just because it can be done doesn't mean it is the best course of action. If you do decide to go for the conversion, I and others will be glad to offer info. Just make sure it's what you want to do before you commit.

Russ

15. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

SEE! I'm not THAT biased! Anyway to set the story straight: M1009s (K5) were 6.2, TH400, NP208, 10B front &amp; rear w/Gov Loc. All the others M1008, M1010, M1028, M1031 (K30): had 6.2, TH400, D60 front, 14FF rear w/NoSpin. The M1008 (pick-up) M1010 (ambulance) &amp; M1028/M1028A3 (RATT radio rig) had the NP208. Only the M1031 (Contact maintenance Truck) and M1028A1/A2 had the NP205 for the PTO drive. Also only the M1031 and certain M1028 had a limitied slip in the D60 up front.

There were never any K5 M1009s with 6.5 twin turbo, NP205, turnin' D60/14FF made, 'nough said!.

16. BadDog

Hmmm, are you sure about the 1008s only coming with a 208? I was told mine was a 1008 but it supposedly came with a TH400/205. I guess someone may have swapped it in. Or maybe it was a 1028/1031. Doesn't really matter.

Just curious, was "I'm not THAT biased" in reply to my post? I'm not sure what you meant. [​IMG].

Russ

17. RGF

RGF 1/2 ton status

If you look on the drivers side door post there should be a large metal ID tag that will tell you the model that you have. The magic number to look for will have 13 digits and start out with 2320-01- .
    I have 2 excellent manuals that list every single pc. on those trucks along with the breakdown pics and repair info!

RGF

18. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

"Not THAT biased" refers to my own bio &amp; signature line. No need for flame retardent underwear. And yes there should be a data plate on the door that lists the NSN and/or Nomenclature.

19. BadDog

Haha, I didn't think it was a flame, just didn't know what it meant.

As for the plate, this truck was rolled before I got it and now has a civi 2wd body on it (including doors). Oh well.

Russ

20. Lotsa_Faith

well...just got back from looking at it...it is an '85, he bought it from the county auction for 1200$ cause it wouldn't run...took it home to find out that the battery cable was worn out...replaced it and it ran fine....it has a swapped in *350*!!!!!!!! 10 bolts, dunno x-case dunno tranny...but he said it could go well over 70...so im guessin its got 3.08's and overdrive...i have decided that if i do get this, i am going to keep it. he put in a roll on bedliner in the whole interior, and it has vinyl seats...so he washes it out w/a water hose...heater and radio...but no A/C and nothin special...

if this guy bails out on me, it will be the 3rd K-5 bailout in like 6 months i've had...i hope he doesn't...

Mike Dee