Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

CUCV M1008A1 alternator question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Jersey Shore 4x4, Jan 24, 2007.

1. Jersey Shore 4x4

Jersey Shore 4x4 Newbie

I am not a member yet so I cant post on the diesel page yet, so I figured I would ask here. Heres the question. I have a 1985 CUCV M1008A1 that is a directly from mcGuire AFB here in NJ. It was given to a local municipality for there OEM program and never used, they had it for a year and boy what a mess they did. I have most of it back to military specs except the drivers side alternator. They stuck a 1 wire unit in there and it just sucks. How and where do I find the correct unit to go in there and be able to connect all the wires properly. I have the military parts manual and it gives a part number that is No Longer Available:eek1: and it crosses to a 15SI civilian unit but there is not enough terminals to connect the extra 3 wires that are just hanging there. Any help you can give me would be great.:bow: I hope to be a paid sponsor member soon. Thanks Jay

2. Ronnie4wd

Ronnie4wd 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

3. BKinzey

BKinzey 1/2 ton status

Both of the altenators are the same. 100a, 12v.

4. Jersey Shore 4x4

Jersey Shore 4x4 Newbie

Actualy they are not the same. The drivers side is suposed to have a Tach terminal and an AC voltage terminal and an isolated ground. You can use 2 of the passenger side units but all the STE/ICE functions will not work not to mention the drivers side alternator will not start to charge until the RPMs go up on the engine. I am not just using this to drive this is a restoration so I want what it came with. If anyone is going to remove the OEM drivers side alternator in a 12v conversion I will buy the core.

5. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Acha!

Would that be the GEN1 light goes on at start and stays on until I goose the throttle a bit?

-- A

6. Jersey Shore 4x4

Jersey Shore 4x4 Newbie

Yup that is it. It works but it is not the correct alternator

7. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

$&*@^$&*^@&*$@

Guess that's two of us looking for the driver's side alternator.

-- A

8. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

Have you guys tried any of the military equipment suppliers like memphis equipment or broyce? I know those two are more into 2 1/2 ton stuff but there are some CUCV parts suppliers around..... just can't think of any right now

9. BKinzey

BKinzey 1/2 ton status

Well look over on Steel Soldiers .com. There is lot's of discussion on changing from 24v to 12v so you probably have a good chance of picking one up from someone who has done the change.