Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

CUCV M1009 Battery keeps draining

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by airborne808, Mar 8, 2003.

1. airborne808

airborne808 Registered Member

New to the forum.

I own a M1009 and drive it infrequently because the starter battery keeps dying.

I just put in my second new battery this morning.

I hope it's not the alternator, but before I go in and have it tested, could it be something else?

Thanks all

Jeff

2. rugger03

rugger03 1/2 ton status

The way the batteries are run (series), one bad battery could actually drain the other battery. So they should always be repalced in pairs. I would look for any bad connections or loose terminals. If you have a voltmeter you can test the voltage at the altanator. If you don't autozone will test them for free, you just have to bring them in. I had my altanators rebuilt for about 40 doallars each which is a fraction of the price for one new rebuilt from a chain store. Hope this helps.
    Rugger

3. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

What he (Rugger) said /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif The batteries are wired in series (24V)for the starter (and slave), Glow Plug power and radio (opt).

Each battery is charged independently (thus two altenators). Which battery is giving you the trouble? IIRC the rear battery carries all of the 12V loads. When we used to do a service on aCUCV we would swap the batteries to "even out" the wear on them. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

4. airborne808

airborne808 Registered Member

The front battery. I am taking it in tomorrow to have the alternators tested.

Thanks again guys!

Jeff