Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

CUCV M1028 Diesel

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by Mastiff, Dec 25, 2004.

1. Mastiff

Mastiff 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Diesel gurus:

I'm considering the purchase of a 1987 M1028 CUCV with 6.2L diesel. I'm concerned because I heard that Chevy had some serious problems with their diesels during this time period. Should I really be worried?

The other thing is the highway cruising. I don't need to do it very often, but I'd like to be able to hit 65 once in a while so I can use the interstate. The gears are 4.56 and I think the tires are like 31". I believe that would put the RPM's up over 3000. If it's just bad mileage and noise, I don't care, but will I hurt the motor? Or will it not physically be able to do it?

Thanks for any help.

2. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

You wouldnt hurt the motor, it will run all day long at the governor. The motors are not as bad as most think, they just never recovered from the rep of the 5.7 converted gasser.

3. Mastiff

Yeah, that makes sense. I heard that they just converted the 350 without doing enough engineering to make it a proper diesel. The 6.2L would be a different animal.

So are you saying that I could probably cruise 65 for a while at the expense of lousy fuel mileage?

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

What Joez said...it'll run all day at the governed rpm without complaint. It won't be quiet and it won't get great mileage but you won't hurt it either.

The unfortunate thing with the 6.2 is that it is still mistakenly thought to be the same motor that GM started with, the 5.7 Olds block diesel. They truly share almost nothing in common. The 6.2 was designed and built from the ground up by Detroit diesel for GM.

Just like any engine out there it has it's weak points, but they're mostly things decent maintenance can prevent. Many people ended up with 6.2's that were brutally difficult to start and gave up on them. Usually nothing more than needing glow plugs replaced.

Rene

5. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

Yes, you could run it at the governor for extended periods of time, but would be getting pretty bad mileage and that sucker would be loud.

6. rivermtnman

rivermtnman 1/2 ton status

Did you buy the '87 M1028 out of Kansas that was on ebay, Mastiff? I dont believe that was a bad price for it.

7. Mastiff

I'm pretty depressed about it. I was just finishing my research and was about to go for it when it got bought out from under me. It might be a while before such a good one turns up again. The same seller is getting another one soon, but he says it's rusty. I still might go for it if the rust is still "treatable". Assuming all the mechanicals are good that is.

8. rivermtnman

Yeah I saw it ended Mastiff, thats why I asked. I bought one from the same guy about a month ago. He's a straight shooter, truck was as described, and am still satisfied even though I couldnt get it started today. I had already bid on the 1008 when he posted the 1028, the front limited slip would of been sweet. I thought he delivered cheap too, $.55 per mile, most charge $1.00 -1.25. I wanted D60/14b, 4.56 ,lockers so bad, I sold my '88 Blazer to get the truck(Can you ever forgive me K5'ers???). But I figure I got the gears finally, if I ever part the truck, will find another Blazer to put the gears under it,hehe.

9. Mastiff

10. rivermtnman

The only thing I knew was different, was most (not sure all) 1028's came with the Spicer limited slip in the front end. You see alot of them with a box on them, such as ambulance's and the maintenance trucks. They will generally bring more $$$ than a 1008 of the same condition. I didnt know about the springs. There use to be a cool website that had the difference of 1008, 1010, 1028, but I cant find it in my fav's now.

11. rivermtnman

12. Mastiff

Cool, thanks. I'm surprised that the tank capacity is so low - 20 gallons. Is that the same as a gas truck? Or did they make it smaller because of better diesel MPG? I've never had a gas chevy truck, just K5.

13. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

All long bed trucks have 20 gallon tanks, some will have dual tanks which gives you a total of 40.
    SHort beds have a 16 gallon tank.
    :crazy:

14. Mastiff

I guess they have to make room for the spare.

15. smalltruckbigcid

smalltruckbigcid 1/2 ton status

Heres where to buy those ex military trucks from http://www.govliquidation.com/index.html go looking for vehicles...I just bought a 86 k5 from these people so I will say they have rules but I called customer service and they were easy to work with. If the auction site is listed as unmanned that means a rep has to come out BEFORE you can view the item. Depending on the site that may mean 2-4 weeks before the rep gets there to let you in. Running 1008's or 1032's are bringing $3500.-4500 bucks.
    Residue (parts trucks) and non runners start at $500 and go to about $2500.
    This not an add for them...just a heads up for any who are interested.
    George

16. Mastiff

Pardon my massive ignorance of all things diesel, but what is the governor you speak of?

A possibly related question I have (don't laugh): when you press the gas pedal on a diesel motor, are you controlling the air the same as a gas motor, or something different (fuel, governor, something else)?

Thanks guys.