Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

cucv no lights/bypasing blackout lights

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by big_truxx, Sep 14, 2005.

1. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

and yes i know about blackout lights ;) i have no lights at all. have just started to look into this problem. are there some common problems with the m1009 and blackout lights? please help as i am trying to makemy new m1009 my dd asap

Last edited: Sep 22, 2005
  2. rugger03

rugger03 1/2 ton status

you trying to get the black out lights working or the head lights? silly question but you know the right hand black out swithch has to be either up or down(can't rember) for the head lights to work. they are switched that way so you don't accidently turn the regualr headlights on.

3. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

need to get regular lights to work. and i know the right hand switch needs to be up ;)

4. rustyk5

rustyk5 Registered Member

The wiring might be different in my civilian blazer but there is a green wire that runs from the fuse block to the switch. :crazy: I hope that gives you something to start from?!

5. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

lol i dunno what color wire there is. i am wondering if the black out light system can or does malfunction thus casuing a problem where i have no lights at all.... since that is what it looks like right now lol

6. 1meanm1009

1meanm1009 Registered Member

I had a problem with that in my m1009.i guess something in the switch was shortin and killin dash and all other lights.I dont know what the prob was but after messin around movin wires tryin to trace they worked again :confused:

7. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

lmao yup sounds like a good ole military fix. mess with it trying to fix it and it just works for no aparent reason lol i will get around to trying wires and looking at it all more closely asap. all fuses are good. and switches were in the correct position for normal lights to be on. i am also working on a small rust hole, putting a pair of alternators in and a cou[ple other odds and ends to get it ready for insoection for the road for my dd. the lights are a major thing though lol hopefully i can mess around with wires and get iot to work. other wise i may have to rewire it all and not have the blackout lights :(

8. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

anyone else have any ideas what is causin my lack of lights?

i noticed there are a couple black boxes with chip boards inside. those are for the blackout lights right?

9. rugger03

rugger03 1/2 ton status

nope those are the glow plug controlers in there. Sounds like its time to break out the volt meter and start tracing wires. I would start at the Black out light switches.

10. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

hmm i never noticed them in my burb. but thats not saying a lot lol so they are the "timer" for the glow plugs?

11. rugger03

rugger03 1/2 ton status

Yes its the glow blug controller, and you probally had a different set up in your burb.

12. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

lol perhaps. 84 cucv and 89 burb... but i never looked for the controller in my burb. the cucv is kinda hangin down :D so kinda noticable. i will try to trace wires. dont have a volt/ohm whatever meter so i cant try that. and i wouldnt know what wire wanted to be running what vopltage anyway lol some things i have yet to learn ;)

13. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

K10ANDYKHAMNIC 1/2 ton status

check your engine to body ground strap .

14. dieselponyexpress

dieselponyexpress 1/2 ton status

Is it just the driving lights or every single light in the truck (turn signal, brake, dash, cab)?

Keep a second look at your fuses. There's an unmarked headlight fuse there.
    Looking at the only row with 4 fuses, its the one at the extreme right.

Good luck.

15. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

checked to see if all the fuses were there. they were. and when i had checked them all they were all good. also the engine to body strap looked good when i looked at it the day i bought it. havent looked at it since... but it was w/o normal lights before that. also i do have black out lights. well one cluster in the rear isnt working and a couple are missing one light... and the blackout drive light isnt on but there are some on.... so it would appear the switch works to turn them on and off. just i dont get normal lights when they are off. :dunno: :confused:

16. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

i am seriously thinking my best bet is just to get normal lights working as i need to get it on the road. anyone have experience with bypassing the blackout light switch to have just normal lights?

17. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

K10ANDYKHAMNIC 1/2 ton status

i had mine bypassed when i bought my 1008 it had 2 jumper wires in the headlight plug that goes to the dash switch . the switch might be bad try a diff one .

18. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

had thought about that but.... are you meaning the backout switch or the normal headlight pull out switch?

19. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

what wires? please explain :D :waytogo:

20. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

news is i now have the tm's on cd here :D and have service and blackout light diagrams printed out. but still have no clue as to what wires need to go where in order to bypass the blackout lights and have my service lights back :doah: