Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

CUCV opinions

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by laketex, Aug 9, 2001.

1. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

I'm looking at a K30 CUCV for a daily driver. This truck has the 6.2, TH400, NP208, D60/14B with 4.56 gears, and 35" all terriains. I'm told that top rpm for this engine will only allow a 55 mph top speed with this combo. Really that's no sweat though becuase I want to swap the 14B/D60 with 4.56 into my blazer and put the 14B/D44 with 4.11 out of the blazer into the truck. My question is will this combo only allow a 65mph top speed (<a target="_blank" href=http://www.4lo.com>www.4lo.com</a>) or can the diesel be tuned for more? I'd really like about 75 on the top end but 65 is livable. 55 is not. Thanks for any opinions or advice.

bryan

Sherman, Tx
    <font color=red>Come Awn yall...Let's go to LUCHENBACH, TEXAS!!!
    </font color=red>

2. rugger03

rugger03 1/2 ton status

the limiting factor of a diesel engine is RPM. Max RPM for the 6.2 is about 3200, for max fuel economy you should try and keep it at about 1800 RPM. So that asaid theres nothing you can do to the engine to get more speed. you could swap out the tires to a larger size to achive a higher top end. Great trucks though.

3. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

Hold on Latex, I think CUCV K30s came with 31" rubber, not 35s. Yep they're real buzy at hyway speed. If you push 65mph alot plan on replacing main seals frequently. Try 31" in the calculator. I still think 4.11s may be too low for the speed you want to commute in. Extra power won't help here. Although if your engine, pump, and injectors are good have the injector timing checked and add a crossover pipe for cheap power.

My own Jimmy runs 35" rubber, 4.56s and the OD 700R (but not for long ---M465). Out of OD the rev aren't too bad at 65mph. I try not run 75+mph too often (got other toys for that). In OD (30%) it won't pull a grade at all.

Real trucks don't have spark plugs!

4. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

yeah this truck has 35" Kelly Springfields and will have 4.10 gears. What kind of mileage do you think I'll pull down at a 1:1 final drive at 65mph on the highway? I'm looking for something to replace my Phord 1/2 ton so it at least needs to get better than the 11mpg i'm getting now.

Sherman, Tx
    <font color=red>Come Awn yall...Let's go to LUCHENBACH, TEXAS!!!
    </font color=red>

5. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

Sorry for the two week delay. 'Had to go play in the (Mojave) desert. Jeese! 110 is way too warm for this Yankee! A wild-ass guess would put you at maybe 15+mpg, with alot more relaxed engine. My Jimmy gets about 20 mpg commuting thirty four miles down two lane and highway to work everyday.

Real trucks don't have spark plugs!

6. Wheeljack

Wheeljack Registered Member

The CUCV pickupsare 1 1/4 ton and have D60/14bolt axles with 4.56 gears and will go 85mph with 235/85/16 tires but fuel economy stinks. the axles have 8 lugs. The Blazers have a higher gear like 3.90(not sure) and have a 3/4 ton suspension with 8.5 10bolt axles with 6 lugs. Also 85mph blows out the rear main seal.

7. militaryblazer

militaryblazer 1/2 ton status

My M1009 (Military Blazer) had 3.08 gears and 33" Mud Tires on it. Before I sold it I ran it pretty hard. I drove it about 80 all the time with 12 - 14 MPG! It had a K&amp;N Filter and Glass Packs which probably helped on MPG! When I got rid of it it was barely running but don't think it was because of that. The fuel filter base was shot on it for some reason and it would start pouring diesel out of the bottom of the base. I got 6500 for it with needing some engine work but otherwise extremely nice body and int.

Pics of my blazer--&gt;http://www.geocities.com/m1009_86