Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

CUCV question - what is this thing?

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by Mastiff, Feb 1, 2005.

1. Mastiff

Mastiff 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I was poking around under the hood of my new-to-me CUCV last night... There's a silver box looking thing on the firewall a little to the passenger side. It has two spring/wire clamps holding the cover on and some hoses coming in and out. One of the hoses goes noplace, just hangs down, like it's just for purging/venting or something (unless it's hooked up wrong). Can someone tell me what this thing is?

If nobody can tell what I'm talking about I'll snap a pic and draw a circle around the thing.

Another Q while I'm typing. Does the 6.2L diesel use just any old oil like a gas engine would use? I noticed the filler said only to use this or that types of oil. The type designations meant nothing to me.

Thanks.

2. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

1) Fuel filter.

2) You need diesel rated oil. CH or CI rating preferred. Rotella T, Delo 400, Mobil Delvac are all good oils.

3. Mastiff

Thanks. I considered fuel filter, but I could swear I could trace the fuel line from up the frame rail to the mechanical pump to the top of the motor, very much like a gas SBC. I'll look closer in the daylight... :grin:

By the way, what's the difference with diesel rated oil? Does it run hotter or cooler or something?

4. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

It handles the soot a lot better than a conventional S rated oil.

5. Mastiff

Gotcha. Now, that fuel filter, you need to purge air from the fuel system if you replace it? I'm assuming it's a replacement deal as opposed to cleaning. Sheesh, I guess I ought to get some manuals instead of relying on you guys...

6. Mastiff

Nevermind my last question, I read the sticky post about changing the lifter pump and it cleared everything up.

7. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

Most diesel rated oils you will find will come in 15W40. Rotella T is my preference but there are many good ones out there. Even Walmart sells a generic 15W40.

8. rivermtnman

rivermtnman 1/2 ton status

LOL Mastiff, I think that was my first question when I looked under mine, "What tha heck is that shiny thing???". I've already replaced mine.

You may want to check Ebay, I bought a military manual for these trucks, I think $8 shipped, thats on cd-rom, probably as detailed as any Haynes manual. I like it because I can search for specific words and find things quick.

9. rivermtnman

rivermtnman 1/2 ton status

Back to the oil question, I thought I saw somewhere?? that it recommended 10-40 under 40 degrees and straight 30 for over 40 degrees. I'm not sure I'm stating this correctly, but is what I thought I saw. 40 degrees is bad temp when its 50/30 around here. Do most of y'all just stay with the same weight year round? I also did not know there is diesel specific oil.

10. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

I run 15w-40 Rotella year round. When this case runs out i think im just gonna go buy a barrel of it.

11. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

15W40 if there is a chance it will get over 40, if it will be continuously under 40, I run 10W30 Rotella. Where I live, 10W30 is only run for about 3 months or one oil change so it works out nicely.