Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

CUCV question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by broncoman6524, Jul 11, 2006.

1. broncoman6524

broncoman6524 1/2 ton status

Are the front and rear clevis mount thingys the same?
    I forgot what they're called but the stick out of the bumpers and you attach the D rings to them.

Anybody?

thnx

2. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Shackles. Sometimes "airlift shackles", though the mounts on the CUCV '09's (the Blazers) anyway aren't strong enough to lift the vehicle by. (The HMMWV mounting points are, fwiw.)

The shackles are the same front and rear, but the mounts are a bit different... they are, IIRC, 2x1.25" square tube, maybe .187" wall. I can check if you need me to (just had my front ones off yesterday putting a hitch on my '09.)

-- A

3. broncoman6524

alright would the rear ones be able to be mounted to the front though. obviously it would take some drilling but other than that?

4. broncoman6524

5. dremu

Mm. The front tubes are longer than the rear, or vice versa, and have different hole patterns.

Be easier if we see the big picture though.

Are you trying to fix up a CUCV, or put those shackles on a civvy truck?

See, I don't know that the CUCV mounts are ALL that strong ... so if you wanted to put them on a 'wheeler, say, for real recovery points, you'd want to do something else (stronger) than the CUCV's came with stock.

If you're trying to restore a CUCV, you can get the tubes or make some easily enough.

Make sense?

-- A

6. broncoman6524

ya theres a cucv that a guys parting out, all i've got on the front of my truck are the stock hooks. I may just get the rear bumper and the rear shackles and put them in the back. I dont have any recovery points there yet, gotta get off my lazy ass and install my hitch.

and id be putting these on my civy truck

7. dremu

The shackles proper are the same front and back; I'd grab those if they're not crazy expensive or rusty, as they're pretty good.

If your truck is an 81-91, and is the same as the CUCV (i.e. both are pickups or both are Blazers) than you could do the bumper swap as a bolt-on.

Otherwise, if you don't mind a little fab work or can find somebody local with a chopsaw and/or welder, I'd just get the shackles and build the mounts for them.

I put CUCV tubes and a rear bumper onto my '74 K5; for the front I just cut holes in my factory bumper for the shackle mounts. In the long term I'm gonna build real bumpers with solid mounts for the shackles, as I don't trust the CUCV tubes for any kind of side-to-side play.

Hope this makes sense.

-- A