Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

CUCV registration, body/frame swap Qs.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by DavidB, Apr 8, 2006.

1. DavidB

DavidB 1/2 ton status

Ok...my brother has a CUCV I may buy. I have a 2wd 1 ton dually. I'd like to use the dually cab, has factory guages, etc. Also like to have the CUCV cuz i can register it diesel and swap it gas. Sooo...what shall I do? If I put the CUCV frame under the dually cab, what do I register it as? Or if I swap the dually cab onto the CUCV then what? Or do I have to yank the stuff I want from the dually and put it in the CUCV? Will the (2wd) dually cab fit the 4wd CUCV? Thanks...- David

2. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

which "cucv" are we talking?

3. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Yeah, Beater's got a point ... you talking about an M1008-ish pickup CUCV, we hope? (if it's a M1009 Blazer CUCV, obviously that's muuuuch nastier cuz the frames are different.)

I've never seen CA inspect a frame VIN, only the ones on the dashboard and door jamb.

-- A

4. DavidB

DavidB 1/2 ton status

Yah, sorry...i'ts CUCV pickup. I always forget about the blazers...

Last edited: Apr 9, 2006
  5. camok5

camok5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

When I did my m1009 cucv swap I put everything from a donor blazer into the cucv body. It was easier to register the cucv as a diesel and not have to worry about smog anymore. If you put the dually cab onto the cucv frame its would be harder to register because the dash vin will be for the dually and they will make you register it as that. I would just get the cucv registered in your name and then swap everything from the dually into the cucv, because if you ever got pulled over by the police and your vin didnt match your registration you would be screwed. If you want to see what I did just look at my pics at the bottom of my page.

6. DavidB

DavidB 1/2 ton status

You rock. Thanks that's what my brother said :rolleyes: and what i figured...I was hoping there might be another way.

7. DavidB

DavidB 1/2 ton status

PS...how long did it take ya? Sorting out all the harnessing n crap?

The dually has factory gauges (instead of idiot lights) and I'd like to use those. The little bit of redneck in me likes the roof clearance lights on the dually, too but laziness will prolly overcome. Prolly end up using the dually (C&C) rearend and going dual 11.00x16.00 someday too. :D

8. DavidB

DavidB 1/2 ton status

Just thought of something else, I'm 99% sure I know the answer to....when ya swap engines, ya gotta go same year or newer right?

9. DavidB

DavidB 1/2 ton status

Looked thru yer pix...mine will be barely street legal wheeler, so I won't be as thorough with the interior. Dig your bumper...and it's all about bein' bald n' goteed. :waytogo:

Last edited: Apr 10, 2006
  10. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

If it'll be inspected, yes. If you have a diesel VIN, they won't know, now will they? :D

Also of interest is that CUCV diesels are exempt from smog, even if diesels start smog in the future... they're tagged under the hood, and presumably by VIN, as vehicles manufactured for the federal government and therefore exempt... kinda like CHP cars that never get smogged :D

-- A

11. DavidB

DavidB 1/2 ton status

Thanks...hi five!