Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

CUCV volt meter

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by Mastiff, Feb 25, 2005.

1. Mastiff

Mastiff 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I've been beating my head against the wall trying to get my M1008 volt meter to work. I took it to work and attached it to a power supply and it seemed like it was working, but when I attached it to the truck it didn't. So I took it off and traced all the wires around and stuff... well, turns out there's always 25-30 volts at the volt meter connector. So I hooked up the volt meter and it worked... I put the dash all back together and then the next day it stopped working again.

So at that point I was totally confised, but figured the volt meter was intermittent. I saw one on E-bay and bought that, but it doesn't work either, even though there is always voltage on the connector.

On the back of the volt meter there are 3 lugs, the wires are connected to two of them. Tonight I discovered that if I connect 24V across ground and the unused 3rd lug that it goes off the scale +voltage. I probed around some more and also see that there is about 175 ohms to ground from that connector.

I wonder if this meter is really for some other voltage range (12 volts possibly), but they divide the 28 volt voltage down to get into that range. There is a white thing between the the 2 possible lugs, I wonder if it's a resistor to divide the voltage and it's burned out?

That's my long story. My question is, does anyone know how these things are supposed to work? Or, if someone has a functioning CUCV voltmeter handy, would you mind measuring the resistance between the two lugs?

I'm going to cut and paste this to Steel Soldiers forum to, so if you hang out there you'll see it twice. :grin:

2. M-1028

M-1028 1/2 ton status

I converted mine to 12v and had to replace the gauge with a 12v unit. Mine worked when I took it off, its yours if you want it.

3. Mastiff

Mastiff 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I fixed mine by putting 350 ohms between the two lugs. The white resistor that was there must have gone bad. Of course, that was after buying another one on E-bay that had the same problem. Thanks for the offer on yours. You should sell it on E-bay, you'll get $30-40 or maybe more for it.

I sold my GP controller on E-bay and it bid up to $200. I can't believe it. I said in the description that I don't even know if it works. One man's trash and all that... :grin: