Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Cummins 24V conversion

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BowtieRed, Feb 8, 2004.

1. BowtieRed

BowtieRed 1/2 ton status Author

anyone ever done a 24v turbo cummin conversion? if so how much was the final total? what all would it involve excluding the computer, like fab-wise? just motor mounts welded in and placement of accessories and x-member? any ideas? i want a turbo diesel bad. if i can't do a good diesel conversion i'm considering sellin the K5 and buying a superduty crew cab 4x4 7.3 (i know they are totally different but i want a diesel and a crew cab, but i'd settle for one of the two.

2. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

12 valve would be much easier and way easier to boost power in. 24 valve has too much electronic junk on it to hookup.

You will definately need some stout springs in the front to hold the sucker up and if you plan on running a chevy auto you need to get the bell housing adapter from cummins. Other than that you just need new motor mounts, re-do the crossmember, move some stuff, and your done.

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I would say you need at least a th400 to hold up behind a Cummins, Dodge had trouble with Autos of their own for years, and I wouldn't put a Cummins in unless it had a 5 speed behind it, overdrive is a helpful thing when you don't rev over 3000 rpms.

4. Stomper

Stomper ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ GMOTM Winner

Week late and different forum /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

Clickity

5. BowtieRed

BowtieRed 1/2 ton status Author

i'd try and find an NV5600 with tcase all in one. this would be a summer project. maybe i'll just buy a 94-97 furd 2/350 CC PSD7.3 4x4. . . /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

6. Stomper

Stomper ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ GMOTM Winner

/forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shame.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shame.gif