Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Cummins 5.9BT

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by BlackDog714, Feb 8, 2003.

1. BlackDog714

BlackDog714 1/2 ton status

I am seriously considering converting my BBC truck /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif to a Cummins TD and I have a few questions...

1) Where do I find a suitable Cummins 5.9BT or 8.3BT (if they are the same size block, I heard they were!). I fear looking for a Dodge parts truck just due to the cost. Any suggestions of where to start looking?

2) I remember once seeing one of the big tranny companies (TCI or Jet, I think) that offered a beefed 4L80E as a replacement auto trans for the Dodge auto. Am I dreaming or did this actually exist? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

2. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

For a solid-axle GM, an 89-93 Dodge is a good donor. You can use the entire engine, tranny, and t-case all in one shot. The 94-98 gets you into the more tweakable inline injection pump, better trannies, but the t-case drops to the drivers side (not a bad idea if you combine it with a remote np205 /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif )

Here's a couple of pics of a 5.9B in a Chevy:
    pics

The 8.3C engine is bigger - about 6" longer and somewhat taller. Here's some pics of one in an F350:
    pics

3. BlackDog714

Oh yeah, its an 87 K30.

I do want to keep the auto, is there an adaptor to mount the Dodge bellhousing to a Chevy trans?

What about the Cummins industrial engines? Would the 6BT out of a generator be a good start for a swappable engine?

4. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

Its quite a bit of work, so you need to be serious about doing this. You need to buy or make motor mounts first of all. Then you need to either go to Cummins and get an bellhousing adapter for a Chevy pattern or use a Dodge transmission. You need to find a way to mount an intercooler. You will need an engine from an automotive application (Dodge,bigger Fords, Freightliners, etc). A genset governor will not work very well at all on road. If I were you Id forget the 8.3 all together, its a very heavy engine and not worth putting in for what you will get out of it.

5. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

I don't see any advantage to the Chevy trans. First you have to get one, then add the stand-alone ECM to run it. Then there's the expense for a fancy adapter.

The Dodge auto is already there, with a t-case on it. Lots of aftermarket support to make it keep up with engine goodies. If you need tougher still, maybe see what auto trans they use on a Cummins equiped Freightliner.

Diesel Dan picked up a a '90 Cummins Ram for a good price. I think that's an excellent starting point.

6. BlackDog714

I thought that the 4L80e is a much stronger auto than the Dodge offering?

With a turned up Cummins, will the Dodge tranny hold up to that? Besides that, I might feel a little "dirty" putting a Dodge trans in my truck. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

7. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan 1/2 ton status

The 5.9 pic that u2slow posted is of a non-intercooled '89-91 motor. Has a VE rotary pump(89-93), non intercooled turbo outlet(89-early 91) and the t-stat housing is for a top/bottom flow radiator(89-91). If it was from a side tank radiator equipped truck the upper hose outlet would be in the correct direction to use the GM radiator. The '93 has a TPS sensor, RPM pickup and coolant sensors for electonic trans, should be able to interface some into the GM harness.

These are little differences I've picked up on since researching this swap, that and I also have a '93 CTD sitting on the floor to compare to my '90 in the truck. Yes it would be easy to drop the entire power train into my sub, however I want the lockup converter and OD of the 4L80E. Stock VE pump is governed around 2500rpm but higher rpm springs are available for the pump and relatively easy to install. An intercooler is NOT nec depending on the HP level you want to run, my '90 does not have one from the factory and I've seen 17psi boost empty. If you want to tow w/o the intercooler make sure you have an EGT gauge.

8. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

I read an article in Fourwheeler about the Earth roamer, which has the Cummins TD and the dodge auto, and he was talking about the problems he had with it untill he found this company that makes a 3 puck torque converter.
    It seems this is where it all starts.
    If you don't have access to this magazine article I can find it for you tonight and list all the references here tomorrow.
    He had all the banks goodies on the cummins and now the tranny holds up to all that abuse 500+ HP and 680+ Lbs

9. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Fourwheeler also had the install of a Cummins into a Ford to replace the old tire 7.3(or was it is 69er?). Anyway I would really really like to do this in a K5. Would be damn sweet to have one Diesel Cummins K5 pulling a trailer with my trail K5 on it :-D. I don't think Intercooler install would be a problem, there is a fair amoutn of room in front of the radiator without A/C. In my opinion anyway. besides a nice clean intercooler could be used in conjunction with no grill and it would loook like a simple Billet grille /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif.

10. BlackDog714

I dont think I would want to take the chance of having a rock punch through my intercooler /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I need more info! I looked at a local wrecking yard (no real decent ones around Seattle!) and they wanted $4000 + core charge for a 97 12v 6BT /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif with 160k on it.

Anyone have any online sources???

11. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    they wanted $4000 + core charge for a 97 12v 6BT with 160k on it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like going rate. I was quoted $5000 CDN outright (no core) for a '90 non-intercooled with 300,000km. That was as it sat on the floor. Extra's were extra. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

I got a better quote from a HD truck wrecker. '94 (inline pump) and 7-speed spicer from a Freightliner for $5k CDN - as it sat on the floor.

Insurance write-offs might be a good place to start, if you grease the palm of a licensed salvage buyer. Would be on an as-is basis, so you take your chances.

Might be worth driving north of the boarder to do your shopping. Your dollar goes a whole bunch further up here! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. BlackDog714

Wow, that actually seems like a good deal! About $3600 US with no core charge! Is there a link? /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

13. Suburbanite

Suburbanite Registered Member

Try eBay Motors, I've seen a couple up for auction there. There's also a salvage place here in FL (Miami, I think) that supposedly has great prices on used diesel engines. Sorry, but I can't remember the name &amp; don't have the link.

Just a followup: I think the info on the Miami area salvage yard may be at the diesel-central website. Try a search. There aren't that many posts so hopefully the name will come up.

Good luck.

14. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

The '90 non-intercooled was at Pro Truck &amp; Van recyclers. I was there about a month ago. They're about 20-30 minutes from the Sumas border crossing.
    http://www.importautorecyclers.com/

A-Combined is in the same neighborhood:
    http://www.auto-recycling.com/

The HD truck parts place is called Gray's Trux N Parts.

Edit: Gray's is no longer dealing used parts - just found out today /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

15. Diesel Dan

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Sounds like going rate. I was quoted $5000 CDN outright (no core) for a '90 non-intercooled with 300,000km

[/ QUOTE ]
    /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gifWow! I'd let you drive my '90 home for $4500US, 168K miles.

16. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

What is an intercooler?

17. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

Cools the air to increase HP.

18. BlackDog714

Intercooler from a Dodge or Furd might be hard to fab into the rad support though. Has anyone done this swap?

19. BlackDog714

So no one has done this swap before? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

20. Diesel Dan

Lots of people have done this swap, maybe just none here. I plan on installing my extra 6BT into my '91 sub. There are several swaps going on over at the TDR. Some companies have been swapping the cummins into GMs for years, perkins diesel also.