Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Cummins brothers..show your mods

Discussion in 'Tow & Trailer' started by big pappa b, Aug 14, 2005.

1. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

I haven't puchased anything new for my truck yet besides fuel but I have a few things in mind.
    1. Mud flaps are a must
    2. Some sort of step tubes would be nice too. I feel like I slide off the seat to the ground everytime getting out
    3. Gauges are a must. I'm going to order the 3 gauge dash mount (pyro, boost & trans temp). trying to decide between the Dipricol or Autometer. There's only a $30 difference (Autometer more) . Leaning towards the autometers. They've been around for a long time, good rep, quality gauge. I haven't heard of the Dipricol's before I got into diesels. Any input on them??
    4. A Line-X bed lining after the other mods

2. Hardcore

Hardcore 1/2 ton status

Get a fuel pressure guage too. Your lift pump and your wallet will thank you :D

3. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

His is a 3rd gen which is equipped with a different version Cummins than the ISB version that is equipped with a VP44 injection pump, which had lift pump and fuel pressure problems. His ISBE is a high pressure fuel rail system that uses a better pump, I would think he could do without fuel pressure unless he wants it.

4. jimmy88

jimmy88 1/2 ton status

Gauges: Beware! Ask a lot of questions when you buy the gauges, especially if you buy a package deal for the truck. Sure they come with senders, but they don't fit anything or anywhere and the instructions are so generic as to be useless!

First decide how you are going to power the gauges (painless fuse block or birds nest of fuse taps). Have extra wire and connectors to hook up the lights in the gauges.

Next find out exactly where you will need to install the senders and what fittings, adaptors, etc are needed. Watch out for the cheesy boost gauge tubing kits. They use plastic tubing, but supply compression fittings for metal tubing. Plastic tubing needs special fittings with furrels (sp?) that can't turn sideways when being tightened.

Save yourself some trouble by doing your homework before starting the install.

Also watch out for the shutdown timers or turbo savers. So far, to my knowledge anyway, there is not one that is good for the 05 dodge. All the ones I've seen (and the one I bought :mad: ) are hack jobs. They keep only one circuit hot which causes the truck to throw trouble codes since there are a bunch of circuits that need to be hot during run mode. Their solution is to combine seperate circuits together :doah: ... humm lets see if that is a good idea Chrysler would have built em that way to save a few pennies! I'm either going to get a relay with enough contacts to do it right or wait until the aftermarket comes out with something correct.

Sorry for the rant, just trying to save you some headaches. Congrats on the new truck! Your gonna love it. :thumb:

5. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

2003 Dodge 3500 Quad Cab Dually

-Banks 4" In-Line Exhaust Brake
    -Banks 4" downpipe
    -Magnfalow 4" SS Exhaust
    -AFE Pro Guard 7 Stage II Intake
    -TST PMCR w/gauges

6. MNorby

MNorby 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

My 97 has a NHAF air filter, complete straight piping, home made #100 fuel plate, star screww all in, boost and pyro guages (ultra-lites), silver face gauge covers, 5" lift, 315/75 Geolander ATs on MT CLassic IIs, tinted windows, alpine deck, 1200 watts, 10" under center seat sub and pioneed 6x9s, steel cowl hood, custom made light bar w/ 4 KCs, flip over gooseneck hitch, fender flairs, bed liner.... shall I continue or you can just watch the vids here:
    http://www.putfile.com/mnorby

7. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

Well when bought I was going to just keep it as a reliable daily transportation and tow rig...........
    2001 Dodge 2500 QC short bed 4wd
    AFE race pro guard 7 intake
    4" straight pipe
    upgraded injectors (level 2 DDP)
    HX35 turbo
    Edge HOT comp box
    Piers transmission with billet input and Dunrite triple lock converter
    Triple autometer gauge pod (pyro, trans. temp, boost)
    Sport headlamps...
    Damn, I really need a hobbie.
    Soon on the upgrade list is a LSD for the rear diff., cam and mechanical lift pump, and approaching the top of the list a engine brake of some sort.
    Later on the upgrade list bigger intercooler, possible leveling springs, rear sway bar, better bumper hitch, front bumper upgrade, and a rack for my canopy.
    These trucks will suck you dry, I have had to slow down as I wanted to do other things and things just kept snowballing. Truck sure does get the job done though and is a blast to drive, yet I do miss my old gas powered truck a little.

8. TBeckman

TBeckman Newbie

99 Quad Cab LB 4x4 5 speed, AFE Stage I, Rips 4", TST Powermax Comp, Van Aaken, Luk's Pro Gold Clutch, Holly Blue in place of aweful stock LP, in desperate need of a larger turbo.

9. crossy

crossy 1/2 ton status

I have the same truck as you. already bought an Edge juice w/ attitude. NOT the race box. I like the gauge part cause EVERYTHING is there in one little box that i mounted on the column.. i have seen NO appeciable fuel mileage gain like they all claim even on the ONE tankfull that i stayed out of the loud pedal. MAYBE i need Muffler upgrade?.
    Juice Box made nice improvement on power even on the #2(tow) setting.
    I pulled the turbo down and inserted a thin piece of cardboard to to act as a stopper before i started to drill the hole in the exhaust manifold for the pyro probe. I wasn't about to let metal shavings go into the turbo.
    I went to a diesel Dyno shout out and saw a guy make in an 05 make 589 RWHP & 1100 Tq. with stock 05 4" exhaust so dont let any company talk you into spending $600+ on a 5"or 6" system. 05's are 4" all the way. MBRP makes a nice replacement muffler.
    I also bought AFE magnum intake system and now the turbo whistle keeps deer at bay and the thing sounds like a giant hoover when I am pulling something. I am going to make mods to the stock intake tube to retain the silencer portion.
    I bought Stainless nerf tubes w/ step off ebay CHEAP from nerfbarsdirect but the support brackets required quite a bit of fab to fit right. buy a brand name like Westin. best to look at others and ask questions if they fit or not.
    I just got the the weathertech rain guards and they cost 4 times what others do but fit into the window channel and no tape onto the body. DAVE

10. GORRILLA

GORRILLA 1/2 ton status

02' Cummins, 6spd, lb, 4x4

The only real change I had to make to mine was The exhaust. Had to go straight. Just so when the little ricers pull up, I put my exhaust right in thier ear, which is usually right at thier window.
    I added a set of 35" Nitto Terra grips, Sony stero, RF amp, a JL 10",
    a removable goose neck/ fifth wheel hitch. And with the comment from one of the magizines that these trucks are "little Peterbilts", I took a set of steps from a peterbilt and modified them to fit.
    http://coloradok5.com/photos/showphoto.php/photo/8696/sort/1/cat/500/page/1
    Welcome to the "I'd rather be CUMMIN than strokin" club.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2005
  11. stef_dogg

stef_dogg Registered Member

Which years had problems with lift pumps and fuel pressure? I have a 2001 6 speed, how can I tell if I have these problems?

12. stef_dogg

stef_dogg Registered Member