Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Cummins BT-6 conversion in an 85 burb

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by fwdjunky, Jan 1, 2005.

1. fwdjunky

fwdjunky 1/2 ton status

Ok, before anyone says it, I tried searching... alot. Anyway, I have come across a very clean 85 suburban with many goodies, including a Cummins bt-6 turbo diesel and a gear vendors overdrive unit. I've been looking around for a couple of days and can't find much info on these engines. If anyone has information like specs, known problems, what aftermarket upgrades are out there, etc. I'd LOVE to hear it. Thanks a million! Rich

2. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

try Turbo Diesel Register...

Im a member over there if you need me to ask or do any searches you cant...
    post here in the diesel forum... look at the diesel conversion thread,,,
    Cam

3. fwdjunky

fwdjunky 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the suggestion Cam. After a bit of reading it looks like the 6bt is basically the 5.9 that Dodge has been using for years. I can't find anything that says that specifically, but if that is the case then the rest of my questions are answered. Thanks again.

4. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

Same exact motor. The dodge 6bt just has a plastic thing that says "DODGE" on the valve covers.

5. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan 1/2 ton status

IIRC, 6BT means:

6- cylinders
    B- "B" series motor
    T- For turbo

6. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

it would be awesome if you could post up some pics of the engine in the truck in the "conversion" thread over in th diesel forum....

Im always interested in seeing what others have done as far as motor mounts, tranny adapters, and where all the intercooler or turbo stuff /air cleaner has been mounted
    cam

7. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

THere are basically no problems with that engine what so ever. If it is a 94-98 version it has the P7100 injection pump that can flow tons of fuel reliably. The only downside to that engine stock is the 2500RPM governor but that is easily changed with a spring kit.

Aftermarket upgrades? About 800hp and over 1600ft lbs of upgrades. :) I have the later computer controlled 24v ISB cummins in my dodge and love it.

8. fwdjunky

fwdjunky 1/2 ton status

It's going to be a couple of weeks before I get back up to look at it again but will try to remember my camera. Talking with the current owner, the conversion and gear vendors installation was done by a company called "Repower" which is now out of business. I'm hoping that means its a very clean install. The guy claims the engine has less than 20K on it, it was brand new when installed and has not been driven regularly since 99'. Any problems with diesels sitting for long periods of time? Thanks again for all the information.

9. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Depends on what is meant by "not driven regularly." I don't drive my K5 regularly but I fire it up and drive it a few times a month. If it just sat for that time then I don't know what to say, it may fire up with some fresh fuel or it may not. If it has been started and driven every once and a while than it's probably fine.