Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

cummins conversion... need help with a couple of questions

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by chevyracing, Mar 12, 2002.

1. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

A friend wants to convert his dually (chevy) to a cummins.. Need some info, web site addys, phone numbers, etc.
    He has a blown up 6.5 turbo now.

John

2. Joey D

Joey D Registered Member

I have looked into this plenty. The only problem is cost and room. The Cummins is long, and makes a tight fit to the radiator. Then the intercooler, also a tight fit if it fits at all.
    There are some good options for the 6.5. A rebuild on a good block with 18 to 1 pistons and good head gaskets, marine injector pump, GM-8 turbo, intercooler. Will give 275hp or more to the wheels.
    Thats plenty for most, but the ultimate power motor would be the Cummins.
    It comes down to how much $ do you want to spend.

3. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

<a target="_blank" href=http://forum.62-65-dieselpage.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic&amp;f=6&amp;t=000142>See if this is any help.</a>

There's a gentleman over on <a target="_blank" href=http://www.thedieselpage.com>The Diesel Page</a> who is in the process of converting his 95 Suburban to Cummins power as well....but he hasn't posted much info yet.

Casey

4. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

I will pass this info on to him. Now I have two friends considering this swap. I think what they are after is longevity in the engine. Not saying some 6.5 Turbo Diesels are not capable of running the miles a Cummins is, but more likely to with a little less hassle. I know before Mudnutt blew his 6.5 up it would smoke my Cummins off the line.

John