Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Cummins Conversion

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by badassblazer03, Oct 21, 2004.

1. badassblazer03

badassblazer03 Registered Member

I have a 82 blzer and I am getting ready to retire my old 350 and swap in a 4 cylinder cummins. They make plates for it so i can bolt it right up to my SM465 and i have the welders and tools necesary but I know there are going to be some things i need and i am not sure what they are and I know there are some of you who do so any input would be great.
    -Stew

2. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

im looking into this as well. i plan on swapping in a cummins 4bt motor to bolt up to my 465 with doubler.

i hav not done much home work on the subject yet. i am a little limited in resources. i do know there is a 465 bellhousing that fits the cummins 4bt. i know a lot of bread trucks had them in them. also from what i have been told its a one wire deal other than the starter. i want to run a turbo on the one i put in so i will most likely be rebuilding the engine before it gets installed.

ill keep an eye on this post and update you as i go.
    Grant

3. badassblazer03

badassblazer03 Registered Member

This is badassblazer03 I just renewed my membership but decided I was going to change my username. I appreciate the info I found this engine on ebay, it gives a little info. Ebay-Cummins

4. rusty_82

rusty_82 Registered Member

I geuss the last post would make more sense if i had a different user name,ha, well this is my new username not that anyone really cares.

5. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

There was a bread truck for sale down the road with a 4bt and chevy tranny for $3k. /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif You will have to do some serious modifications to your motor mounts.

6. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    There was a bread truck for sale down the road with a 4bt and chevy tranny for $3k. /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif You will have to do some serious modifications to your motor mounts.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not if it came out of a bread truck. The cummins motors in bread trucks were all repowers, and all dropped right into the factory 350 motor mounts.

7. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

maybe I'm a step ahead of ya'll in ways, got my 4bt stripped down and ready to be dipped and reassembled...gonna try and get some decent numbers out of it.....I'll keep ya posted on any problems I run into
    you can check out
    <font color="orange">ltalessi</font>'s site to see the motor in his rig and running
    ltalessi's site

8. rusty_82

rusty_82 Registered Member

Do you guys know any sites that have performance parts for it? I saw a ranger with a 4 cylinder cummins in it and it was tuned to about 500HP.
    -Stew

9. bandit1

bandit1 Registered Member

where did you find a 4 cylander cummins? i want one BAD, but they're pretty rare. anyway good find you can squeeze twice the torque out of those, than a 350. And get way more MPGs. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

10. mcinfantry

mcinfantry 1/2 ton status

i know a guy outside baton rouge with 3 for sale. 450, rebuildable core, 1100 complete unknown, 2000 for a runner

11. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    Do you guys know any sites that have performance parts for it? I saw a ranger with a 4 cylinder cummins in it and it was tuned to about 500HP.
    -Stew

[/ QUOTE ] 500HP!?! /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif That is respectable even for a 6BT. Thats equal to a 6BT pushing about 675HP. 500HP is a lot for that little motor. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    where did you find a 4 cylander cummins?

[/ QUOTE ]
    You can find them in P-30 trucks, large air compressors and generators. I have also seen them in street sweepers and compactors. You can also find them in equipment trader magazines.

13. CARL

CARL Registered Member

4bt Cummins In Maine

GUYS....I FOUND MANY 4 CYLINDER FORD SET UP CUMMINS LAST FALL...
    PRICE DETERMINED IF SHIPPED...YARD IS VERY REPUTABLE. BOUNCE A NOTE IF INTERESTED IN COMPLETE 4BT? AFTERCOOLED. FROM RADIATOR TO BELL HOUSING ASKED 2K WITH NEW BEARINGS & 100% OIL PRESSURE, SEALS ETC.:cool1:

14. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

Look in the diesel forum... I have been writing a thread on this for the past month or so... its the first stcky...please feel free to add what you learn

cam