Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

cummins conversion???

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by klinger_2003, Jan 2, 2003.

1. klinger_2003

klinger_2003 Newbie

I own a 1995 chevy 2500 with a 6.5L. I want to put a 24v cummins in my truck, and wonder if its possible, who makes conversion kits, who does this kind of thing, and any any other useful information. Thanks guys.

Kevin

2. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

3. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

SO what will you be doing with your engine?

4. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

Its very possible, but I would not use a 24 valve. They are capable of less power, not as reliable, more expensive, and most of all they are not easy to wire up ( ECM and such ). Your best bet would be a 12 valve and motor mounts from Randy Bleuth of Reliable Diesel as you see in one of the TDR posts that Laketex linked. Ive talked to him a couple times and he is very willing to answer questions and let you know what needs to be done for the conversion.

5. klinger_2003

klinger_2003 Newbie

where is reliable diesel located, and if they have a website that would be excellent also...... Would it be easier to swap the motor trans and transfer, or would i be better off finding an adapter plate.

6. BlueBlazer

No website, youll have to call him. The easiest thing would be to get the whole drivetrain out of a Dodge and swap it in. The best setup is the Cummins engine, NV4500 from a Dodge, and an NP205 from a first gen Dodge.

7. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

is the engine compartment long enough on those chevies to do that? You may have to carve the firewall. Never done one so I don't know. I have a Cummins in my Dodge 3500 and it just looks like it would be a squeeze.

John

8. BlueBlazer

If no body lift, about 1/2" of clearance needs to be made where last valve cover ends up. This allows the use of the stock engine driven fan.

9. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

I have a blazer with a perkins 5.9l diesel, and it was a tight fit, they had to remove the engine driven fan, and I put dual electric fans on the sides of the pulley which is 1" away from the radiator.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    As for top clearance they cut a hole in the hood to clear the turbo return pipe, but I will be putting a 2" lift which should clear without cutting.