Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Cummins, Duramax, Powerstoke?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BIGCHEVY4X, Jun 5, 2005.

?

What diesel is the best?

1. Cummins

16 vote(s)
    34.0%
  2. Duramax

14 vote(s)
    29.8%
  3. Powerstoke

4 vote(s)
    8.5%
  4. CAT

9 vote(s)
    19.1%
  5. Detroit

3 vote(s)
    6.4%
  6. Other

1 vote(s)
    2.1%
  1. BIGCHEVY4X

BIGCHEVY4X Registered Member

whoops forgot the poll

2. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

Well since I have a Cummins in my Dodge and have never driven any other Diesel besides a Power Stroke, I am going to have to say Cummins!!! :D

3. CammoK5

CammoK5 Registered Member

In a pickup truck? Cummins no doubt. I've owned Powerstrokes and liked them alot. They are great motors, but nothing compares to a Cummins in a pickup truck.

4. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

www.duramaxracing.com

Looks like there is going to be a new leader in power/longevity.

The Cummins is a stout motor, but giving up .7 Liters in a forced induction diesel is a big difference, plus it wrapped in poor packaging.

I have never liked GM's diesel offerings in the past, but the duramax is impressing the hell out of me after watching them at the pulls and driving my buddy's. I also have friends with the Cummin's motor and they love the motor but not impressed with the trucks....

FWIW

You get what you pay for. You pay a little more for the GM, but you get the whole package.

5. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Oh yippie....another person that hasn't owned a late model Dodge.... ;)

Go take a look at the new 2005 Dodge's....they are a heck of a lot nicer than the GM's. The dash, guages, and seats are so much nicer and well laid out. Dodge is even using sweade and leather combined on their seats in their upscale models. As far as the rest of the truck....thats cut and dry. The toughest drivetrain available, especially in the late 90's early 2000's, are under Dodge 3/4-1ton 4x4's.

I love my 2nd gen, my black leather seats are a lot better quality than my dad's GM 1998 burb seats.

6. highrlr

highrlr 1/2 ton status

If I could afford one it would definately be a 2005 dodge dually, second choice would be a Ford powerstroke. Not that i dont like the duramax or doubt its abillity but a HD truck just shouldnt have IFS!

7. big94gmc

big94gmc 1/2 ton status

A Powerstroke and a Duramax pulled same-weight goosenecks from FL to Moab for EJS... The Furd hauled the same on the flat, straight-a-ways, but when it came to pullin' the hills, the Duramax always pulled out in front. The Powerstroke had a whole bunch of aftermarket crap on it too, and Duramax was stock....

I'm not a Ford fan.

I think stock Duramax's have enough stock, only better with some aftermarket crap.

8. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

True, I don't own one (wouldn't buy one....but would take one if given), but I have access to one just about every day. 05 3500 4 door short bed Cummins/Hand Shaker (brother in law). Nice truck, no doubt, but the ride and interior is not as nice as his neighbors 04 GMC Max/Ali. Again it's a matter of opinion.

I don't own either one, so I guess I can be pretty un-biased. For me, power is power, looks are looks, and ride is ride.

I do like my GM's but I own/have owned Fords/Mercury's, Nissan's, and a Chrysler (Cars and trucks). I drive anything that will do what I want it to do the way I want it to.

On edit: I guess I was a little off base saying the Dodge pickup is "poor" packaging. It is nice and I would take one if given, but I don't feel the ride is as nice. My brother in law even stated he would never buy one with an auto as he likes to up the power considerably and has had bad luck in the past....as well as with the front end (4WD). He gets a deal at the local dealer so he feels it's worth the comprimise (trades about every 2 years).

To each his own though.

9. eclipse

eclipse 1/2 ton status

I think its funny you put all the diesels found in pickups and then you added CAT. lol only if they would make one that you could stuff in a 80s chevy! I work around dump trucks all day, the company I work for has a fleet of 7 dump trucks and they are all Cummins. They like them cause they are great engines and reasonable price to upkeep. Cats on the other hand I think rule, but are spendy.

10. fad2blk99

fad2blk99 1/2 ton status

CATs are in a class of their own... It's like comparing a 454 to a 4.3 V-6....
    My brother’s drill rig has a half million of some of the hardest miles you can put on a motor and, although due for a rebuild, she still has impressive power.

As for practical applications for passenger trucks.... I'd love to have a SRW 2500HD 4x4 w/ the Duramax / Allison combo.... but, I think the Duramax is still to new to dethrone the Cummins… but just give her a couple more years. :D :D :D

11. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

D-Max/Allison ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    YYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!

12. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

You guys are all washed up! My Rabbit td would out pull any of those puny engines. And get 40-ish mpg doing it.

13. mtn. burb

mtn. burb 1/2 ton status

A friend of mine has a 57' Chevy stepside 4x4 (not a Napco)
    with a 6V53 Detroit.

I voted Detroit.

14. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Well yeah it rides just a little firmer....it's a coiled solid axle truck with a Dana 60 slung under it.....not wimpy, girly, mushy IFS. :p: ;)

I agree that the interior would be a matter of opinion. Both are nice.