Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Cummins in a Chevy?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by wfo163, Jun 30, 2004.

1. wfo163

wfo163 1/2 ton status

Paging through an older petersens issue I came across a yellow sub with a cummins turbo diesel under the hood. Anyone ever done this conversion? With gas prices still rising and the wonderful diesel torque potential I am seriously looking into this. Any opinions or experience will help. Thanks guys.

2. mtn. burb

mtn. burb 1/2 ton status

I remember that 'burb, from Colorado. Getrag 5 speed, 42" TSL's on a 4" lift. They were suppose to a feature but never ran it. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Diesels are cool. Have'nt transplanted one.

3. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

There are a few members here that have done the conversion.

4. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

I do not know of any.

5. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

I think K30CJ is the only one, he has a 12valve in an older crew cab, a 79 i think. There are a couple 4bt's, but one of those is in a M-715.

6. mister b

mister b Newbie

7. boz42

boz42 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

it can be done, i used to have some pics of a 6bt in a crew cab 4x4. i will look for them. the biggest thing is the truck needs to be one ton to hopld the weight of a cummins those motors wiegh about 900 lbs supposedly.

8. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

The original poster asked if anyone here had done this swap. K30CJ bought his with the Cummins in it.

9. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Ya might want to poke around over at www.thedieselstop.com I just bought some tires from a guy that hangs out on that site and he showed me some of his handiwork. He just put a Cummins 12 valve into a '79 or so F-250. Looks SWEET, but let me warn ya, that is one L O N G engine! /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif It fills up ALL of the space between the firewall and the radiator. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

10. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif For some reason i thought he had swapped it.

11. boz42

boz42 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

couldn't find the pics, sorry man i think i deleted them.

12. K30CJ

K30CJ 1/2 ton status

No, I did not do the swap. A friend did it, and I caught him at a weak moment when he decided he wanted a Furd. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif I snagged it away before he changed his mind. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif He admits his 'stroke doesn't pull his trailers as well as the Chevy/Cummins did. He did a good job on the swap and it has been totally reliable. I took it to Maryland and back with no problems shortly after I bought it. Many other shorter towing trips, and daily driving. I'm usually towing 12-13K lbs, and it does it with ease. I've turned up the power some. Really makes a great truck - tow anything, still get 17-18 mpg driving to work without the big payment of a new crew cab diesel. I just got the lift done this spring. Next is the interior.

Anyway, if I can help answer any swap questions, let me know. I can probably answer, or ask my friend if necessary.