Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Cummins or 6.2/6.5 Turbo Diesel to replace 454 in my 1977 Chevy Rollback?

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by rich, Sep 16, 2005.

1. rich

rich 1/2 ton status

I have a 1977 Chevy 1-ton 2WD Rollback tow truck (has steel Jerr-Dan bed that tilts). It currently has a 454 and SM465 4-speed. Unloaded it gets 10-12 mpg, and pulling 2 rigs (one on bed, one on trailer) it gets about 6.

I keep thinking of swapping in a Cummins at some point in the future. Have researched it a bunch, including the threads on this forum.

But I started thinking if I could do just as well with a 6.2 or 6.5 Turbo Diesel? How about putting a Banks kit made for the 6.2 on a low mileage 6.5, with good injectors and good IP?

I think I could build the turbo 6.2/6.5 for less than buying a stock used Cummins. And repairing/replacing the 6.2/6.5 in the future would be cheaper than the Cummins.

Plus the 6.2/6.5 is a much easier swap, pretty much bolt-in. The Cummins would be a lot of work.

But would I be happy with the power from the turbo 6.2/6.5? How about the fuel mileage and reliability? I don't have any doubts that I would be happy with the Cummins once I got it in there.

I'm happy with the power my 454 has. The 454 is pretty stock - Quadrajet 4-barrel and dual exhaust. Rear axle ratio is 4.10 I pulled this without too much trouble (but not in the mountains).

[​IMG]

Just trying to think this through before I start collecting parts for the swap...

Thanks!
    Richard

2. rich

rich 1/2 ton status

And the 6.2/6.5 would be like 400 pounds lighter, right?

3. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

I would do the Cummins swap, the engine might weigh almost 1100Lbs with all the equipment, but it will outperform the 6.2 & 6.5.

4. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

Cummins in your case most definately... well ...it depends how long you want to keep the truck... the 6.2 /6.5 built is as much as the cummins... I know ive looked at it from every angle and no matter what anyone says they arent in the same class... a good cummins will walk away from a 379.... and for what you do grunt is nice

kennyw has a nice cummins cheap... best deal I have ever seen... not sure if he sold it yet

cam

5. rugger03

rugger03 1/2 ton status

If i had to do it over i would have put a cummins in. More power, and durability. If you dont have an over drive tranny you would probally have to swap out your gears to make any speed.

6. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

I will say this:
    If your budget permits and time is not an issue go with the cummins.
    If you want something very close to cummins in power but cheaper and faster to get done go with a banks turboed 6.2/6.5
    You won't be disapointed with the power of the turbo GM engine.

7. CrewCab59

CrewCab59 1/2 ton status

Conversion

Well on 6.2 with a Banks is still low on power.My CrewCab had a Banks kit and still not the power of a stock Cummins,for the time and little money go with a Cummins.The 6.2 won't last long with that load.

Just my 2 cents

CrewCab59

8. rich

rich 1/2 ton status

After all the advice from you guys, I bought this a week ago from a fellow CK5'er:

http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=114464

The Cummins is great! And now I can have some down time for my rollback if I decide to put a Cummins in it, and I can look at this truck as an example to follow.

Thanks again!
    Richard