Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

cummins to my GMC!!!

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by steve_kibbe, Feb 11, 2005.

1. steve_kibbe

steve_kibbe 1/2 ton status

I'm going to look at a 89' dodge soon. I'm hoping to get it cheap. The tranny needs a rebuild, but the engine and all is good. Just thought I'd share the excitement:D

2. eclipse

eclipse 1/2 ton status

Sweeet deal, is that for your 83 K2500?
    I'm jealious:D

3. steve_kibbe

yea, it is, I think its gunna be alot of work, but I hope its gunna be worth it.:D

4. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

It's a decent engine but you aren't going to have the tuning ability of a P series cummins. Regardless, the early motor still has room for making plenty of power. That transmission (if it's an auto) is a torquer flite 727 IIRC and won't last under a lot of power. I would try finding an NV4500 for it, or a newer 4 spd 47RH for it if you can. Regardless, it will sound good and have mucho power when you are done. :D

5. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

The 727 is about as stout of a tranny as you can get, as strong as a TH400 or a C6, only problem is the lack of an overdrive. The 727 was/is used in many, MANY high horsepower applications, and survives very well behind a cummins. A TF727 will take anything a VE-pump can put out. And, its torque flight, not torquer.

6. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

So someone please skool me on these conversions - do all the diesels mentioned fit in the C/K5s without firwall or frame work? What about the radiator?

I loved the Burb in last years TTC with the twin turbo diesel.... BOOIIINNNGG!!:grin:

7. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Check my post further on down about a Cummins powered Sub.............www.turbodieselregister.com has a section for conversions - definitely check it out. No gasser can match the torque of a TD. :D

8. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Bobby might be thinking of the 904... 727's where always rocksolid when i was doing the Mopar thing...

9. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

What is the weight differnce between the Cummins and a SBC?

10. rjfguitar

Well than I'm not to sure. My auto teacher in high school had a really nice 1992 cummins dodge with injectors and a turned up pump, He completely wasted two autos, I wasn't into diesels enough in high school to remember what model it was...all that I really remember is he did an NV4500 swap. :)

11. rjfguitar

The cummins weighs in at about 1K. I think a small block is right under half that...???

12. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

Ah, a 92 would not have had a TF727, IIRC that only lasted 89-90 or 91, after that they got replaced with a really weak OD tranny, i forget the exact designation. 727's are very stout, IMHO the king of Mopar slushboxes.

As for weight, a 6bt weighs in at quite a bit more than twice that of a SBC.

13. rjfguitar

Oh, that makes sense, thanks.

14. steve_kibbe

It does have the 727. I was hoping for a 5 speed, but I'm going to look into rebuilding it first to see how much everything is gunna run me. The worst part about this truck is its not intercooled. I looked at banks kits for this thing and might go that route. We'll see.

Good conversation, keep it up.

Any sugestions for me?

Thanks
    Steve

15. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

yeah, its been awhile, my Mopar memories are foggy.. ;) haven't built one since prolly 86... the newest i ever built anyway was my 78 Power Wagon, all others where early 70's muscle..

at the end of my Mopar days, a friend gave me a 727 all tricked out with Fairbanks stuff.. lugged that thing around for years thru my early Cheby days.. eventually gave it to another friend.. :)

i was kinda surprised just now to hear that it was used up to 91... good trannys, now its earlier counterpart, the 904, those blew up fairly frequently...

i want something with that NV 5600.. :D

16. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

I'd stay away from the NV4500 if your donor doesn't come with one. OD is too weak to hold up to the Cummins and the gear splits are too wide. Best to go after a NV5600 with better gear ratios than to spend the money trying to upgrade the NV4500 to hold up.