Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Cunfused - transfer case????

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by orangeGMC, Feb 1, 2005.

1. orangeGMC

orangeGMC 1/2 ton status

Confused - transfer case????

Alright, looking for some advice here. I was driving down my street at like 20 mph and I heard a clunk and the truck won't go forward anymore. I tried shifting my transmission(TH350), it will go backward but not forward. When I give it gas it feels like it wants to go forward but it sounds like marbles underneath me. Tried shifting the transfer case(NP203 - PO converted) and I had to jam it in 4lo and it kinda went forward then popped out of gear. I had to drive it back home in 4lo, in reverse, with one foot on the transfer case shifter holding it in 4lo. My u-joints seem okay. Any ideas on where to start?

Last edited: Feb 1, 2005
  2. OrangeCrushK10

OrangeCrushK10 1/2 ton status

Sounds like what happened to my wife's np203. One of the bearings went bad in it. I swapped in a np205 instead of trying to fix the piece of junk np203.

I'd sa you either are going to have to tear apart the entire t-case or just buy a new one from a junkyard.

3. bugspray

bugspray 1/2 ton status

That happened to me. I opened the back plate on the 203 and found part of a c-clip or washer. I thought it was the t-case so I picked up a used one. Then I found out the tranny was out. Replaced that and all is well. I'm still not sure what went first, if one caused the other or what. Open the t-case plate (I think it's 8 bolts) and see what's in there. You can check it by hand out of the truck. Mine would only end up turning 1/4 turn. If all seems well with the t-case, it's probably the tranny.

4. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

My truck did EXACTLY the same and I'd blown the forward clutch in the trans to pieces. There's a big circlip that holds the clutch pack in the the front clutch housing. It had busted all the casing away rearwards of it. Drain your oil or drop the sump...there'll be metal in there.
    If this is the case......

Box out, used f/clutch, clean everything out real good then get that heavy SOB back in there. Been great ever since.
    Don't forget to get your T/C opened up and cleaned or replace it.

5. orangeGMC

orangeGMC 1/2 ton status

update:

If i put in drive it will rev up and hear a slight clicking noise with no forward movement. Reverse still works fine in all transfer case gears. If I put it in 1 it engages and I can drive it down the driveway. I am guessing that the transfer case is ok, but what could be happening with the trans? I will probably replace it, but how do I know if it is a loc-up or not. My parts store wants to know how many bolts are in the cover, but mine is trashed and is held in with 2 self tapping screws (Darn PO) How many bolts would a loc-up have and how many for non-loc-up?

6. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

the tranny pans are the same. and it wont mater. the lockup is a 4tab plug on the side of tranny , only has 3 wires on it tho. most of them. if for hard core use go reg non lockup tranny. less to go wrong. if you are willing to buy a great used 1 i have a 350 lockup unit but its a long 2x4 tail shaft. you can have a tranny shop switch it for around a 100 or so. fresh reman so i was told and when drained fluid it was new clear red and converter was painted , factory dont paint them. only remans or new aftermarket ones. its yours for 100 plus the shipping. i have a friend that drives the east coast that might be willing to drop off for you close. let me know.

7. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

thats what my k5 did when i bought it with a bad 700r4. first gear was okay but second was gone. Got a damn good price on it tho and it came with another built 700.