Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Curb Climbing, White Smoke

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by GaDawg, Jan 30, 2003.

1. GaDawg

GaDawg Registered Member

Just messin around in a parking lot one day and tried to pull up & over a curb. I was in 2 wheel drive high, My K5 didn't go anywhere and white smoke with a distinct odor came billowing out from under my truck as I applied gas. Any ideas? Do I need to have my hubs & transfer case engaged for any kind of wheeling?

Truck Info:
    1985 K5
    350 C.I.
    4-speed manual SM 465
    Stock 10 bolt front & rear
    SuperWinch manual front hubs
    32" All Terrain's
    All maintenance is current. Front & rear Diff. serviced, brakes, transmission fluid replaced, clutch & master / slave cylinder, oil, joints lubed, etc.

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

2. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

You broke your rig while curb crawling??????

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

3. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

White smoke is usually coolant. Did a hose come off? I would hope you don't need to engage 4 wheel drive to get over a curb /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

John

4. GaDawg

GaDawg Registered Member

I think that may be it. I took my truck back out and did some hill climbing & mudding and didn't get the smoke again. After the smoke incident I did notice that my overflow container for the radiator had leaked some coolant out. Although the distinct odor wasn't coolant, it smelled more like the clutch. The clutch was put in about a year ago, shouldn't be sitting there & slipping.

5. Muley

Muley 1/2 ton status

Did you roast you tires? They will produce white smoke.

6. Sidepipes

Sidepipes 1/2 ton status

coolant, tires or clutch..... hopefully it wasn't the clutch! Those are the only things in my mind that will create white smoke in a vehicle

7. ZonkRat

ZonkRat 1/2 ton status

First guess is clutch.If you gassed it before clutch was fully engaged slipping is poss.You would have heard tires spin{left black marks too}Rad hot enough to cause steam wouldn't cool off very quick. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

-Dan

9. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

The angle your truck was at probably caused the coolant overflow tank to overflow and spilled onto the engine, producing steam

10. K5on38s

K5on38s Registered Member

what did the oder smell like....sweet?roton eggs? melted boggers...lol? id have to go w/ the clutch

11. punkass

punkass Newbie

Probably not in a parking lot.

12. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

my vote is clutch. Both coolant and tires make a smell any backyard mechanic worth his weight in tire rubber should know. When curb popping in a manual you got to let the clutch out slowly and apply gas slowly. When she starts to sound like shes gonna stall then you start apply the gas but like I said just enough so she doesn't stall the whole time. Or get a running start /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif believe me wailing a curb at 25MPH don't burn the clutch. It makes some metal vs metal noises that are interesting but no smoke.