Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Curious about an R/C rock crawler for,,,

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 4xcrazy, Dec 18, 2005.

1. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

We are doing a search on this thing at the moment, but would also like to post it up here to see if anybody on here has purchased this thing, or knows somebody that has.

Need to know what you think of it, how it performs and such.

This is a possible present for the nephew this year, he is 9yrs old and looking to get him something alittle better at going through the grass and such, better than those smaller r/c vehicles like you get at Radio Shack.

I know this is still a cheaper car than the "big boys toys" which he will be getting in the future, but for now, just something to get him learning.

anybody know what kind of speed these things have, are they REALLY slow, due to the "rock crawler" name, or are they at least a decent toy for a 9 year old?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated,,,thanks guys,,,,,,and gals;)

http://scorpioncars.com/

2. gauder

gauder Banned

I have heard good things about those wally-mart crawlers. I think there was a thread about them over a gmfullsize.com. Apparently they can be modded fairly easy too to increase axle articulation.

3. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

yeah, my brother just found a forum site where they are being posted up at,,, alot of people have done some serious mods to them as well,,,kinda interesting.

we just found the specs on the motor size and such, but also noticed they are severly geared for some serious low end torque.
    guess that would help it with some good crawlin.

kinda cool.

still searchin.

4. gauder

gauder Banned

Register over a gmfullsize and do a search for nylint. There's a good thread with pics over there, but you have to register to see it.

5. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

we just found some video of them runnin,,looks like they don't have too good of throttle control, kinda like either on, or off type of control, not like the higher end cars with the electronic speed controllers with very variable controls.

but it does have a high/low speed setting for gearing, so it looks like it does move pretty quick for it's use for a 9yr old.

hell, i am actually thinkin about getting one and moddin it out some....:D

6. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

we found a site that has about all of them anyways,,,rccrawler.com, has a bunch stuff there.

7. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Last edited: Dec 10, 2006
  8. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

9. rdn2blazer

rdn2blazer 1 ton status Premium Member

i bought one for my son this christmas, i ran it a bit before i put it away to "check it out", its badass i think. cant wait for christmas to play with it myself :D . im going to buy one for myself eventually too. thing crawls great.

10. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

They have a large scale and smaller scale version. I've "heard" that the larger ones have maintenence issues

John

11. 85burbanator

85burbanator 1/2 ton status

i have both the large and small one. the large one breaks very quickly. it has shift on the fly hi/low, but mine brok so i have it locked into low. its heavy (around 20 lbs or so) but it crawls over alot of stuff. the small one is faster and more durable since it has less weight. its also easier to mod. havent used either in a while since the big one is slow and the small one doesnt steer very well anymore. read through the posts on the rccrawler link and youll learn pretty much everything about them. and customer service is top notch.

12. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Doesn't appear to be available in canadian Wal-Marts...:mad: Might have to slip down to Bellingham and pick one up after Xmas.

Rene